1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2021 NHL regular season thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Cosmo, Dec 26, 2020.

1. JC

JC Well-Known Member

The real problem is the rule book. Wilson wasn’t suspended for contact to the head, he was suspended for boarding. The NHL knew it would look bad if they didn’t suspended him so they are enforcing something that really wasn’t boarding. Change the rule to the international one where any contact To the head is punished and it takes the guesswork out of it.

And maybe hire people in the DOPS who don’t have the archaic attitudes of Ray Whitney and Pronger.

2. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

My son, who is a bigger Caps homer than I am, thought he might get 20. I didn't see it. My son did and said punishment was merited.

Some Caps fans are up in arms. Most are more aggravated with Wilson. He doesn't have to do stupid stuff like that. He's a talented player.

In my old job, writing columns in D.C., I'd be asking if he's worth it about now. Besides hurting other players, he hurts his team when he does stuff like this, repeatedly. And puts his teammates at risk. They need him on the ice, playing hockey.

3. canucklehead

canucklehead Active Member

I don't understand the lack of respect Wilson has for other players. To me it looks like he is intentionally trying to end careers. I get trying to separate players from the puck but what he does isn't that.

4. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

All his crap runs together for me - but I was about over it when he blasted that Blues player in a PRESEASON game and got a well-earned 20 games (reduced to 16, I think). At that point, I was fine if they traded him.

The Blues GM had a telling quote. Unhappy as all get out with Wilson of course, but then he said something like, "If they did decide to trade him, 31 other teams would get right on the phone."

So talented.
    So reckless.

Very frustrating. And when some opponent has had enough and takes out another Cap, people will raise all kinds of hell but that's the risk with this kind of behavior.

The Caps need to sit him down and tell him in no uncertain terms: Stop. Curious if they have the stones to do that.

Liut likes this.
  5. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Usually, he isn't. What I really would like to know is did Fabbri do anything prior to get a reaction?

Not in a million years does it mean that Pesce should not have been punished. The fine was justifiable because no one should ignore a slew foot.

The league should be proactive and make clear that any more crap like this will result in a suspension. Period. But it won't.

6. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

Just read (TSN, I think) that, according to sources, the NHL and ESPN have reached a seven-year deal for the WWL to be a part of its U.S. television package.

7. Tighthead

Tighthead Well-Known Member

Yes. Half or nearly half.

I assume NBC will be the other partner.

8. matt_garth

matt_garth Well-Known Member

Is there anything in the proposed contract that stipulates ESPN must acknowledge hockey as a major sport?

9. Jake from State Farm

Jake from State Farm Well-Known Member

He approves

DB9A9CD7-9322-410B-94EE-957D9056D785.jpeg

2muchcoffeeman likes this.
  10. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

Melrose needs to be retired.

matt_garth likes this.
  11. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Confirmed.