1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2021 NHL regular season thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Cosmo, Dec 26, 2020.

1. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

So Tom Wilson... worst active professional athlete in the human being category?

2. misterbc

misterbc Well-Known Member

A one second assault. Needs to be a significant suspension, I’ll be pissed off if it’s less than 10.

3. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Yes, I'm a fanboi, but I can still offer a take.

Just watched the slow-mo video of the hit five times. Wilson had already started the process of the hit when Carlo dropped his head. I do believe the initial intent was to go for the shoulder and it turns into a headshot when Carlo drops his head. It was a risky move to even go that high to begin with and it turns out to have disastrous consequences. I do believe he'll be suspended because of his history, but I would be surprised if it was 10 games, just because I don't think there was actual intent to go for the head. I'd guess five. Won't be outraged either way, though. Wilson has to be smarter than that.

4. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

So he was trying to dislocate his shoulder?

Hands high. Stick high. Elbow high.

5. JC

JC Well-Known Member

You are supposed to hit the shoulder.

6. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Here’s a dissenting opinion on the hit.

7. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Tom Wilson never gets any benefit of the doubt from me, because he is just dirty. We've all seen it way too often from him. One dirty-looking shot and you can say it could have been an accident. 100 of them, and it's the player.

One interesting aspect of this season is that if you follow one team, you are seeing way more of the handful of other teams they are playing and you really start to know them more than you would have in a normal season. There is a lot of talent on Boston, especially on that top line, but they play with an edge. In their games against the Rangers that I've watched, they didn't just try to out talent them, they came out and tried to steamroll them. I respect that, even though I hate that team. Their games get really chippy as a result, and they seem to thrive on it. They have some hard-nosed players. Some who are willing to fight anyone, like Frederic. Some big boys, like Nick Ritchie. And some outright dirty players, like Marchand. It's gotta be a combustible formula when they start their shit against a team they are playing for the second time in 3 nights. ... and Tom Wilson is on the other side. I'd love to know what was going on in that game before that hit.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2021
  8. Sea Bass

Sea Bass Well-Known Member

Wilson got seven games.

9. JC

JC Well-Known Member

NHL making it up as they go again.

Splendid Splinter likes this.
  10. Splendid Splinter

Splendid Splinter Well-Known Member

Is Joe Juneau still in charge?

11. Sea Bass

Just a guess, but maybe they felt it was a 10-gamer in a full season. 7 out of 56 works out to the same.

12. Sea Bass

Was he ever?

Draft saved Draft deleted