1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2021 NHL regular season thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Cosmo, Dec 26, 2020.

1. Splendid Splinter

Splendid Splinter Well-Known Member

The goalie should have stopped that.

2. UPChip

UPChip Well-Known Member

NBC has kind of split these national games three ways between the previously mentioned John Forslund, Kenny Albert and Tirico. I think part of it is that they haven't really decided who Doc Emrick's official succesor is, part of it is Albert has commitments to the Rangers, and I think they want to connect Tirico to big-ticket events as kind of their voice of the network (and to get some mileage out of whatever they're paying him).

maumann likes this.
  3. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

... or a Mexican lefty named Valenzuela who grew up playing on a dusty rink in a small village in Saskatchewan.

Looks like Murray is a goner after this season. Everything he was counting on to have a good season has gone exactly opposite. Looks like Gibson is also losing interest. Five goals-against last night against the mediocre Wild.

OscarMadison and maumann like this.
  4. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Irrelevant. Mackinnon skating in with speed scares the shit out of even a damn good NHL defensemen. He backed in to the dots, very few players can scare dmen like that.

5. Splendid Splinter

Splendid Splinter Well-Known Member

Didn't say otherwise. Same with McDavid when he gets going. Goalie should have stopped that.

6. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

I’m getting the feeling a day hockey game outside in California isn’t going to happen again anytime soon.

*I know this is technically in Nevada. The point still stands

7. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Also no commitment if they don't keep the contract, which expires after this season.

Still, cool shots from Tahoe. Bummer for the bad ice.

8. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

I honestly wonder this ... if Lake Tahoe, why not Saskatoon or the Maritimes or somewhere else that would wrap the game with open arms? With no fans, the infrastructure boils down to a clear tarmac on which to land jets and hotels for the organizations.

Nothing against Lake Tahoe - always 15 minutes away, etc. - but the markets above live, breathe and drink hockey. Can the same be said for a resort on the Nevada-California border?

HanSenSE and MileHigh like this.
  9. MileHigh

Agreed. Hell, put a rink on the shores of Lake Louise. But with no fans, you're right, this is the opportunity to really go outside of the box.

misterbc and HanSenSE like this.
  10. UPChip

UPChip Well-Known Member

Lake Louise has been floated repeatedly as a site for one of these, but it's in a national park and the Canadian government won't permit advertising.

I believe the Tahoe rink was on the 18th fairway of the golf course where they do the annual celebrity golf bit, so there was probably significant infrastructure for TV production and to lodge the teams comfortably.

MileHigh likes this.
  11. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

And here I thought that Rutledge Wood would drive the Zamboni. Or maybe a '70s C-10 with a ice scraper mounted on the front bumper in the rink ... I mean he and two others drove vehicles in an ice rink during an American version of "Top Gear."

Last edited: Feb 21, 2021
  12. MileHigh

Correct on Tahoe. And decent amount of hotels nearby to host this. But with fans? A lot tougher. I was last in Tahoe for a wedding four years ago and it's a smaller environment than I remembered. But still fun. Highly recommend if you've never been.

Draft saved Draft deleted