1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2021 NHL off-season thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Splendid Splinter, Jul 13, 2021.

1. Tighthead

Tighthead Well-Known Member

Jim Hughson not calling games on HNIC this season. Not sure what the story is.

2. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Every time I see HNIC in something from Canada. ... I think of this:

Tighthead likes this.
  3. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

4. JC

JC Well-Known Member

He’s treated people like shit his whole life.

5. HanSenSE

From what I'm hearing, even if cleared, the players don't want him back.

6. Sea Bass

Sea Bass Well-Known Member

It seemed like every Leafs game I watched on HNIC last year it was Chris Cuthbert doing the PxP. I think he’s loads better than Hughson anyway.

7. Tighthead

Tighthead Well-Known Member

They didn't poach Cuthbert to be second string.

I agree. Will be interesting to learn therein for all this. Hughson was rock solid doing Expos on TSN back in the 80s.

I always liked his partner from the early days at TSN - Gary Green. He seemed to just disappear.

8. Sea Bass

No I don’t suppose they did.

I’ve never been a big Hughson fan. He maybe a great technical broadcaster, but I never heard his voice and felt any excitement. Bob Cole may have thought it was 1968 for the last 10 years of his career but I’d have taken him over Hughson any day.

Hughson also did Jays games on TSN during their Series runs and I thought he was suited better to baseball.

Tighthead likes this.
  9. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

I spent most of the 2012-13 lockout season working with the Hamilton Bulldogs of the AHL. That team had a lot of prospects who turned out to be suspects, guys like Jared Tinordi, Louis Leblanc, Michael Bournival. The only one who made the jump was Brendan Gallagher who was great from the first time I saw him. That team was lousy, I recall a weekend when they were shut out three times, but Sly was always great for me to deal with, especially after some of the other people I had worked with in the game. Assistant coaches are easily replaced, there's always a steady supply out there, I hope this stance is worth it for Sly.

Tighthead likes this.
  10. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

11. Sea Bass

Jesus. He goes from the Bruins to two teams I just can’t stand.

12. HanSenSE

Draft saved Draft deleted