1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2021 NHL off-season thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Splendid Splinter, Jul 13, 2021.

1. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

2. Jake from State Farm

Jake from State Farm Well-Known Member

3. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

A question for the Canadians on this board. I am planning on visiting Canada at the end of October. I am planning on driving from Quebec to Niagara Falls. If I can attend one hockey game should it be in Toronto, Montreal or Ottawa?

Tighthead likes this.
  4. Tighthead

Tighthead Well-Known Member

I would vote Montreal, especially if it's a Saturday night. Crowd restrictions may make tickets especially scarce, in which case Toronto would be better. There are some Toronto people in the board who might recommend Toronto over Montreal, either would be a good choice.

I can give you some Montreal food recommendations.

Ottawa isn't a bad throw in because you might be able to get tickets cheap, but don't make it the only game.

5. Sea Bass

Sea Bass Well-Known Member

Montreal. It won’t be cheap but it’s a better atmosphere than Toronto. Toronto won’t be cheap either for that matter.

Also, check the Kingston Frontenacs schedule (Ontario Hockey League) if you want to catch a glimpse of Shane Wright, the likely #1 pick in the 2022 draft.

6. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

I'm hoping to take a roadie to Canada in October as well, so good recs on this question. Driving from Richmond to Toronto, then along Lake Ontario and up the St. Lawrence River to check out the Thousand Islands, then up to Ottawa, eventually to hit Montreal and Quebec City. Haven't had a chance to vacation yet this year, have a ton of PTO to burn, and I've been dying to get back to Montreal ... just want to do some exploring along the way.

Tighthead likes this.
  7. Tighthead

Montreal doesn't match on Kotkaniemi.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2021
  8. matt_garth

matt_garth Well-Known Member

Then showers the Coyotes with picks for Christian Dvorak.

9. JR

JR Well-Known Member

I'm from TO and I'd say it's a toss-up with Montreal but tickets for Leafs games are the most expensive in the league and only available through scalpers. The barn (like Montreal) is in the heart of the city and dozens of good restos within walking distance. Just before the pandemic hit, HC & I took the train from TO to Montreal and stayed at the Queen Elizabeth hotel which is attached to the train station. Walked over to the Bell Centre to see Les Habs play the Caps. And it goes without saying food in Montreal is fabulous Avoid Ottawa. Rink is a long drive from the centre of town and was built in the midde of a farmer's field. Not a great experience.

10. Jake from State Farm

Jake from State Farm Well-Known Member

When my sister and I went on a mini-Canadian tour about 30 years ago I was surprised to find there wasn’t a freeway that connects Toronto and Ottawa
    Is that still the case?

11. Tighthead

It’s complicated. You can now four lane it the whole way since the 416 was built, but it’s not a direct line. If you take the more direct way, Highway 7, it’s got some two lane through some sparsely populated country. I personally take the 7 as the 401/416 combo is a joyless drive.

As big as Toronto is, once you are past Oshawa heading east, there isn’t much going on until Montreal.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2021
    Jake from State Farm likes this.
  12. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Remember, this organization reported thought Dougie was worth only $6.25 AAV. But, give a guy who isn’t a fraction as proven $6.1M, albeit fit one season as opposed to eight or Hamilton.

Might want to make sure this was more than just an attempt to grab a social media win, Whalercanes. Time to prove it. Make sure he justifies that big $20 signing bonus you just gave him.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2021
Draft saved Draft deleted