1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2021 MLB Regular Season thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Splendid Splinter, Feb 17, 2021.

1. matt_garth

matt_garth Well-Known Member

2. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

If they didn't do anything after the Red Sox/Yankees playoff debacle back in 2018, then they never will.
    3 of 4 overturned in one game.

MileHigh likes this.
  3. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Life is baseball.

JakeandElwood, HanSenSE and UPChip like this.
  4. UPChip

UPChip Well-Known Member

That's a really nice bit. The Cubs/White Sox thing is weird to me, maybe unlike any dynamic in American sports. There is so much romanticism about the Cubs nationally, whether it's Wrigley or the WGN days or Ernie Banks or whatever, whereas in the same city, there's a club that has been comparably successful but they play in a mediocre at best stadium with a stupid name on the Dan Ryan and nobody likes them. I've never met a full-fledged White Sox fan in my life, just Cubs fans who don't hate the White Sox. In 2005, the Sox hadn't won a World Series in 87 years and hardly anyone noticed or cared. Is it as simple as real estate and marketing?

5. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

In my experience, it depends on where you live as a Cubs fan.

If you're downstate or in one of the surrounding cornfield areas, then you care about the Cardinals rivalry. If you're from the city itself, you care about the White Sox rivalry.

6. UPChip

UPChip Well-Known Member

I'm guessing this was the case a lot more often when there were two teams in Boston, Philadelphia and/or St. Louis, but there just isn't the same kind of parity between the New York teams (where the Yankees have almost always been winners and LOL Mets) or LA (where the Angels are LA but really aren't).

And the number of famous Cubs fans is too many to mention, but the White Sox have Barack Obama and ... ?

7. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

For New York, a lot of it also depends on the borough and region. Yankees territory generally is the Bronx (of course), Manhattan, and the Westchester area. Mets territory, for what it’s worth, is Queens (naturally), Brooklyn (where ex-Dodger fans adopted the Mets) and Long Island (proximity to Queens). Staten Island is generally split.

Same way with the Giants and Jets because they played in the respective stadiums of the baseball teams (Giants at Yankee Stadium, Jets at Shea). Older fans used to favor the Yankees and football Giants, while younger fans preferred the Mets/Jets, at least in the 1960s and 70s.

8. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

<Barack Obama has joined the chat>

HanSenSE likes this.
  9. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

The polar opposite may be San Francisco and Oakland. Hard-core followers for both, of course, but every now and then you see one of those dimwits with a half-Giants, half-A's cap that I thought was outlawed. Oakland fans seem to enjoy their team beat the Giants than vice versa.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2021
  10. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Breaking ...

11. UPChip

UPChip Well-Known Member

Forgot about that one. Other than the times their paths cross, I'm not sure I observed a lot of people giving the other side any mind when I was out there.

12. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted