1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2021 MLB Regular Season thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Splendid Splinter, Feb 17, 2021.

1. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

Good thing that Trout injury was just a slight calf strain now that he's out for the season

TigerVols likes this.
  2. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Just watched the last episode of the '86 Mets 30 for 30. IMO, putting Dykstra on it was an act of cruelty. The guy's a complete wreck. I know he was a scumbag before becoming a complete wreck, but it still seems like they didn't have to do that. PS: As a Phillies fan, Lenny was much more important to our pennant team in '93 than he was to the '86 Mets and I have to assume he was seven years further down the doom train when that took place and no, even though I covered that Series I didn't ask.

3. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

I'm watching this guy Henry Ramos for the Dbacks, just made a great catch vs. the Dodgers in LF. Seems to have a decent bat. How does a guy like this spend 11 years in the minors with not one callup?

4. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

The Cardinals swept the Mets tonight in a three-game series, putting them 1.5 games ahead of the Reds and Padres for the second wild card. No idea if they can sustain it; they play the Brewers, like, seven more times. But it's starting to feel a little like how they ran down the collapsing Braves and won the World Series in 2011.

Feel free to make fun when the Cards spit the bit.*

* Fatalistic Mizzou, Chiefs and Cardinals fan

5. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

So our local guy Frank Schwindel is living the dream for the Cubs. He got 70 tickets for friends and family in Philly today and had a homer, double with 2 RBI and and a run scored. Batting .337 in the two slot.

Neutral Corner, maumann and Batman like this.
  6. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

Another guy who bounced around AAA for the Royals, Tigers, A's and Cubs without really getting the opportunity until this summer. If you look at his minor league stats, all he did was hit. Maybe he's slow. Maybe he's a terrible fielder. But so what?

Sort of like Luke Volt. Or Eric Haase for the Tigers. Or Mike Yastrzemski.

Smart GMs should be combing rosters for guys like these all the time.

micropolitan guy likes this.
  7. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

Voit. Luke Voit.

maumann likes this.
  8. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

Good fielder, smart player.

He's 29.

maumann likes this.
  9. maumann

And the 2019 Tigers wasted at-bats on Brandon Dixon and John Hicks en route to 114 losses, instead of calling up Schwindel who hit .327 at Toledo. Tell me again how smart Al Avila is.

goalmouth likes this.
  10. BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo

BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo Well-Known Member

The really frightening thing about the Orioles is they're not even trying to find those dudes. The Pirates at least take fliers on 4-A guys. Got a few good weeks and one near-brawl with the Mets out of John Nogowski and they're riding Yoshi Tsutsugo's hot streak to a few wins. The Orioles are like, nah, we're good with Kelvin Gutierrez.

maumann likes this.
  11. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

Tired: Luke Voit.

Wired: Luke Volt.

Fred siegle and maumann like this.
  12. maumann

I blame, Ohm, my low wattage for that brain short.

Hermes likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted