1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2021 MBB coaching carousel thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by micropolitan guy, Mar 15, 2021.

1. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Wonder how many of these fired coaches took a furlough or pay cut or wiped out bonuses last spring “for the good of the school”?

Liut likes this.
  2. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Wow. That's really surprising.

3. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

4. dixiehack

We were just wondering who would be willing to take a chance on Gregg Marshall.

Liut likes this.
  5. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Not shocking.
    He’s been an assistant coach there twice before.

6. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

I had KState in my pool.

7. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Heh heh ... how times change.

IMO, Ames is a step up the coaching ladder from Vegas. Let the debate begin about media markets, how much your spouse and family prefer Ames over Vegas, etc. ...

8. dixiehack

The surprise is that Iowa State would so rapidly settle after he had two mediocre years at UNLV. I get the feeling they are squeezing every available penny to hand over to Matt Campbell and beg him to never leave.

9. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Unless you think Fred Hoiberg was quickly bolting Lincoln to go back to Ames, who else was a better fit?

Yeah, they're thrilled that Matt Campbell and his staff haven't packed up and gone ... and they should be. But if they couldn't get Hoiberg, at least get someone who is familiar with their past and actually wants to be there.

As for Vegas, remember than Lon Kruger wasn't lighting up the world like the Strip there. Short of some famous Tark recruiting shortcuts, it's obvious that winning in Vegas is tough.

Deskgrunt50 likes this.
  10. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

My wife was a senior at IU when they went to the Final Four. She just turned 40.

11. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

While I agree with that sentiment, I covered the Big South for 10 years and cannot remember an occasion where a coach jumped straight from that league to a power conference job. Wichita was mid-major, and Marshall also took the College of Charleston job for a day, another mid-major. Ritchie McKay left Liberty for an assistant job at Virginia. Chris Holtmann left Gardner-Webb for an assistant job at Butler before he eventually became head coach there and then Ohio State. There have been some cases where high major coaches have landed on the downswing in the Big South -- think Tubby Smith at High Point and Cliff Ellis at Coastal Carolina. But you're going to have to take a step in between as either a mid-major head coach in a league like the A-10 or as an assistant at a high major if you want to make the jump from Big South to big boys. As presently constituted, the Big South is only marginally better than the HBCU leagues.

I forgot Kelsey flirted with UMass in 2017 -- a la Marshall with CoC. I can't see him leaving to be a high-major assistant, he's been there and done that at Wake and Xavier. Unless it was a coach-in-waiting situation. No idea if Travis Steele is in trouble at Xavier. That could be a spot to watch given Kelsey's history there, even if it was a decade ago.

12. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

Kelsey didn't just flirt with UMass; he took the job. Was all set for the introductory press conference when he backed out. He apparently saw a few things he didn't like. I think they even made him pay some sort of buyout.
    He'd be smart to wait for Xavier to open up in my opinion.

Draft saved Draft deleted