1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2021 MBB coaching carousel thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by micropolitan guy, Mar 15, 2021.

1. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

Probably a good move. If you can't get a decent NBA assistant gig, the value of avoiding the transfer portal and NLI issues by staying out of the college game or getting out of it just isn't that high.

2. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

He’s going the other way though.

3. tapintoamerica

Along the lines of dubious professional basketball entities, we have Kevin Ollie coaching some such thingy.
    The alleged league is supposed to fire up this September, but it has zero players. If this were such a great idea, wouldn't somebody have cast his lot by now?
    Kevin Ollie Op-Ed: I still rise — and I took the stairs

4. tapintoamerica

You know, it might help if I read the thing properly.

Liut likes this.
  5. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

I kinda wonder if there isn’t something to your original point though. Jerry Stackhouse was one of the better regarded G League coaches and now he’s stuck in a terminal rebuild at Vandy and sniping with the media. There’s probably enough money in the Power 6 leagues to make it worth the hassle, but for a MAC job? That would have to be one sweet courtesy car.

Liut likes this.
  6. tapintoamerica

Summer of 2022 might see more than a couple of established college head coaches leaving for the NBA. By then, NIL will be a thing and the transfer portal will be an ever bigger nuisance. Recruiting your own, existing players will join the pursuit of high schoolers as year-round tasks.

Liut likes this.
  7. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

Buffalo would be worth it. Akron or Ohio or Kent State, maybe. But Eastern Michigan? Hell no.

He must miss college basketball.

Liut likes this.
  8. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

In the NHL, a coach is not fired, whacked or terminated. He is relieved of his duties.

9. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Joe Golding of Abilene Christian named at UTEP.

The first thing he needs to do is tell the AD to get them the hell out of CUSA and back into the old WAC, known these days as the Mt. West.

10. mpcincal

mpcincal Well-Known Member

If the MWC will take them -- I don't know if the conference is looking to add. Also, I don't think they were invited to join the schools that broke away from the WAC to form the MWC, even though they had been a veteran member before the ill-advised mid-'90s expansion happened.

11. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

The MWC is unwieldly at 11. Letting UTEP back in balances the divisions, gives UNM a travel partner, adds a decent basketball school that still has name recognition, and adds a baseball program, which the MWC needs since Boise State dropped its program. It also eliminates the need to have Hawaii as a football affiliate.

The MWC didn't need UTEP when it first broke away, because it had Utah and BYU and (for a short while) TCU. The MWC keeps thinking BYU will come back, because it can't compete for anything tangible in football as an independent. I don't think that's going to happen.

12. mpcincal

mpcincal Well-Known Member

Actually, you do make some excellent points. I just hadn't heard any chatter that the conference was looking to expand. You're probably right that they're holding out for BYU's return, but frankly I'd rather see them being kept out in the cold.

Draft saved Draft deleted