1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2021 MBB coaching carousel thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by micropolitan guy, Mar 15, 2021.

1. Splendid Splinter

Splendid Splinter Well-Known Member

official

2. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Not sure they've ever had a coach who did well enough to land a better gig - but it is a stepping stone - to a different career. The San Jose State basketball job would be a fascinating subject of a Netflix series or 30 for 30. Even the tiniest college job, you figure the hoop coach is a big deal at least on that campus. SJSU is an afterthought in the Bay Area. Even if they pulled an upset of a ranked team it probably wouldn't make a highlight package on the 11 o'clock news. Maybe a day later if someone at the game had a phone.
    Saying that - Miles is the best hire they've had going back to the PCAA days - and even before then.

maumann likes this.
  3. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Miles did strong work at North Dakota State and Colorado State. That Nebraska has always been a hired-to-be-fired position isn't all on him. May his career be revived at SJSU. Spartans did well to get him.

4. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Portland State now open. Barret Peery leaving for an assistantship at Texas Tech.

PSU is an underfunded, lower-level job but the Vikings have a great new arena, and front-row access to Portland's nightly protests near the Park Blocks.

maumann likes this.
  5. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

Damn. He’s a really good guy. He must want to be a head coach in the worst way. Guess he’s afraid that another year on the sidelines will make him forgotten.

6. DanOregon

Portland State is a better gig than SJSU - Ken Bone did well enough to get the Wazzu job after Bennett left and Ritchie McKay landed the Colorado State job.

7. micropolitan guy

You could do a lot worse than live in the South Bay area of California. Like live in Fargo and Lincoln. Ft. Collins might be a push. Might be.

8. DanOregon

I highly doubt he'll be able to afford much more than a three-bedroom in Milpitas or Sunnyvale. And this is definitely a "rent, don't buy" kind of job. Though if the school hooked him up with a downtown condo free of charge, it wouldn't be that bad.

maumann and tapintoamerica like this.
  9. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Can't tell if this is a diss on Fort Fun or not -- I don't think it is. But Fort Collins is great -- and it's growing like crazy.

Roscablo and Liut like this.
  10. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

There were some things about Fort Collins that I never quite got. Maybe there's supposed to be something about getting drunk in Old Town or something. It was fine, but given that I had heard the sort of hyperbole reserved for the Seven Wonders of the World, I left wondering what I really missed.

11. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Obviously, it's not that. But what were you expecting? It's a very nice college town. With mountains.

12. micropolitan guy

Either way, he's waking up most mornings in sunny, warm South Bay. Not Fargo. Not Lincoln.

Not dissing Ft. Collins by any means. It's a great place. That's why I considered it even close to a push on the San Jose area, which has almost daily sunshine (so does Ft. Collins) and moderate temperatures, without the front Range wind or occasional paralyzing snowstorm.

MileHigh likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted