1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2021 Baseball Hall of Fame Class

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Della9250, Aug 24, 2020.

1. DanielSimpsonDay

DanielSimpsonDay Well-Known Member

michigan man of the year and baseball hall of famer

2. JC

JC Well-Known Member

How does he not pass the eye test?

3. JC

JC Well-Known Member

What metrics would you use?

How about his strikeout to walk ratio?

4. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

He looks like a butthead.

DanielSimpsonDay and JC like this.
  5. Jerry-atric

Jerry-atric Well-Known Member

When people say Mr. Schilling is “borderline,” what they really mean is he does not have enough “wins,” but they do not want to be made fun of when they say that.

6. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Feels like the same route taken by Melky Cabrerra in 2012, pulling himself from the batting average title race after he got busted by the Steroid Police. But, yeah, Schilling will got the victim route, just because.

7. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I have a higher standard of the HOF than I think most people do. And Schilling would not make it if I was choosing.

But he comes closer to passing the eye test than some players who have gotten in recently.

For me, the hall should include players who during their time (not by a case you have to manufacture a decade or more later) were among the 4 or 5 best at their position. Schilling was inconsistent for much of his career, but he also had stretches where he was among the very best starting pitchers. He finished second in the Cy Young balloting 3 times -- which tells you what people were thinking at the moment in time. I know when my team had to face him and he was at the top of his game (like in the 2001 WS), he felt like a Hall of Fame pitcher to me.

I contrast him to someone like Mike Mussina, who got in. ... and I NEVER felt that way about Mussina. I could always name a half dozen to a dozen pitchers in the American League who I'd have taken over Mussina, especially in a big game.

I think of it that way, and I don't see how Mussina is in, but Schilling who was a better pitcher and did it long enough, isn't. For me, the place where Schilling falls short is that he wasn't at that level quite enough -- he's just short for me. I personally would not include either him or Mussina, but I just don't get the aggregate standard if Mussina gets in and Schilling doesn't.

qtlaw likes this.
  8. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

As I wrote earlier, I think the theory that he started using in late '98 or '99 is correct. My point was simply that we don't know that or sure.

9. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

Don't forget, 'roided hitters were facing 'roided pitchers.

Driftwood, Fdufta, JC and 1 other person like this.
  10. rubenmateo

rubenmateo Active Member

When I think of Schilling's era (more or less), I don't think he's in the top tier of SPs. That's Clemens, Johnson, Maddux, Pedro Martinez and arguably Glavine. Do multiple tiers of players at a position merit Hall of Fame status? If it's a yes for any position, it would be starting pitchers. Obviously 77 percent of voters thought so by putting Mussina in there. And I agree that Schilling was better than Mussina.

11. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

You're only remembering his good seasons. He had bad ones. Mussina didn't. I think Schilling is on the right side of the border, but is not as good a candidate as Mussina.

cyclingwriter2 likes this.
  12. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Agree to disagree. But I am not sure you are understanding my point.

I said (quoting), I wouldn't put Schilling in because he "was inconsistent for much of his career," but "he also had stretches where he was among the very best starting pitchers," but "for me, the place where Schilling falls is short is that he wasn't at that level quite enough."

So, no, I am not just remembering his good seasons.

The point you may have missed was that I was saying that Schilling at his best put him right there with the 4 of 5 best starters playing. At no point during his career wouldI ever have said that about Mike Mussina -- certainly not for an extended period of time (multiple seasons), the way you could about Schilling.

Draft saved Draft deleted