1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2021 Baseball Hall of Fame Class

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Della9250, Aug 24, 2020.

1. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Is (Peter) Schilling in the (Rock and Roll) Hall of Fame yet?

2. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Schilling should be happy he didn't get in. Keeps him relevant. Like Pete Rose, not getting in will be the best thing that ever happened to him. Now we have to hear about Curt Schilling all the time, how it's the PC police keeping him out, how he is the victim, how cancel culture is getting him, how supporting Trump cost him.

Every single year. Probably every single month.

Whereas Mike Mussina, loads better than Schilling, got in a couple years ago, haven't heard anything from or about him since.

Congrats on becoming a perpetual victim, Curt.

3. Jerry-atric

Jerry-atric Well-Known Member

Mr. Schilling is no borderline case.

4. Octave

Octave Well-Known Member

Curt Schilling has as good a chance at being visited by the feds as getting a call from Cooperstown, if you've been watching his afterschool activities lately.

5. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Google sure seems to have no trouble finding stories that include Schilling and the word "borderline" in close proximity.

/crossthread

Chef2 likes this.
  6. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

(Someone please slap me in the jaw for asking this, but I'm going to anyway.)

Please enlighten the room as to why Schilling is no borderline case.

7. Jerry-atric

His career “ERA-plus” is 127, the same as the late Mr. Seaver.

Here are some others:

Randy Johnson - 135
    Greg Maddux - 132
    Roy Halladay - 131
    Mr. Schilling - 127
    Mr. Seaver - 127
    Mike Mussina - 123
    Bert Blyleven - 118
    Tom Glavine - 118
    Steve Carlton - 115
    Mr. Niekro - 115
    Nolan Ryan - 112
    Don Sutton - 108
    Jack Morris - 105

Mr. Schilling was a three-time Cy Young runner-up and six-time All-Star. He is a World Series and NLCS MVP. He struck out 300-plus three times. He was a “workhorse” who often led the league in innings and complete games.

Mr. Schilling is no borderline case.

If someone with his resume appeared as a first-timer today, he would receive 90-plus percent of the votes.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2021
  8. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

I think numbers-obsessed folks need to remember the Schilling still needs to pass the eye test.

9. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I agree with you on your last sentence, since workhorse pitchers (as "workhorse" used to be defined) are going the way of the dodo bird. But my eyes glaze over when someone pulls out an advanced metric to make a guy's case. Get off my lawn, etc.

10. Jerry-atric

My friend, it merely recognizes what kind of era he pitched in.

11. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

From a purely performance point of view, I also think Schilling deserves to be in. I saw a lot of him...he was dominant.

I wish I could see a manager pull him in the sixth, as the leadoff hitter prepares to bat for the third time. There'd be blood on the field, not just his sock.

HanSenSE likes this.
  12. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

I recall Jim Fregosi's line about Schilling when Fregosi managed the Phillies. "A horse every fifth day, a horse's ass the other four." But when I had the vote, I voted for Schilling for the Hall. His postseason resume is as good as any pitcher's this side of Whitey Ford.

Draft saved Draft deleted