1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2021 Baseball Hall of Fame Class

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Della9250, Aug 24, 2020.

1. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Anybody who ever met Curt Schilling hates his guts. I have friends who have known Schilling since he was in high school. Always been a foul, dishonest, conniving asshole.

2. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Or the arrogance of having Hall of Fame careers before they started juicing, but feeling the need somehow.

3. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Whiny little bitch. Just like his hero Trump.

heyabbott likes this.
  4. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Why do you have to make me side with JC on this?

I do believe that Bonds started using PEDs after the McGwire-Sosa home run chase of 1998, but we don't know that. He could have been using something his entire career. I feel comfortable saying that he used something because he has admitted as much, though he claimed he didn't know what it was at the time. Once is is established that a player used, I have no problem believing that they always used. You can be built like Bonds was at the start of his career and still be using steroids.

That said, I really don't care. He should be in the Hall of Fame. Clemens should be in, too.

Jerry-atric likes this.
  5. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

I mean I’m using evidence to point to a likely date. Evidence like when Bonds said he was “tricked” into taking steroids for the first time (98 btw). If there was evidence beyond well he could have been because he could have I’ll take it. But right now, based on evidence, he was using roids in 98/99.

6. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

7. Jerry-atric

Jerry-atric Well-Known Member

I am happy for Mr. Buehrle and Mr. Hunter, who stay on the “ballot” and may grow their support.

They are both very worthy “candidates.”

Good luck Mr. Buehrle and Mr. Hunter!

8. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

Voting for the Hall of Fame has always been a joke.
    Cobb, Ruth, nor Aaron were unanimous. Give me a break.
    Is it a museum for baseball accomplishments or being a nice guy/family man/not black?
    Jackson isn't in. Rose isn't in. Guys who actually belong in Hall of Pretty Good are in.
    I've never understood the whole "which ballot" argument, either. Once retired, someone's numbers don't change. If they were good enough on the fifth ballot, they should have been good enough on the first.
    The Hall of Fame is no different than reality TV all the way back to the Doubleday myth.

9. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

The point is, we don't know that he didn't use steroids before 1998. We can't prove that he used before then, but we also can't prove that he didn't. Do you believe he was tricked? Bonds isn't that stupid. If you believe that he knowingly took them, then you have to be open to the idea that he started much earlier.

10. Jerry-atric

Jerry-atric Well-Known Member

“Shoeless” Joe Jackson is not in, but Reggie Jackson is, fortunately.

11. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

That’s why I put tricked in quotes. I don’t believe he was tricked.

The problem with the argument if he did it then, what stopped him from doing it earlier is there just isn’t evidence right now. Could he have? I’m not saying you’re wrong; I’m saying speculation isn’t proof. I can speculate Tom Brady is dosing with HGH everyday to allow him to play for so long. You can say I’m wrong that there’s no reason to believe it except you can’t document that I am wrong because the documentation might be there somewhere to come out some day. Of course that’s ridiculous because Brady has never been connected with roids but the ridiculous to prove a point. I’ll be happy to adjust my timeline if evidence emerges but I really doubt any will. I mean look at him in his final year in Pittsburgh and compare him to his final year on the Giants and to what he looks like now. If he was roiding in Pittsburgh he did a way better job hiding it than he did starting in 1999.

cyclingwriter2 likes this.
  12. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Is Schilling playing the "PC" card because he really is a pretty borderline case? Figures if he doesn't get in he wants it to be "his decision/actions" rather than some loser baseball writer? Are Trumpists going to start their own HOF now?

Draft saved Draft deleted