1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2021-22 College Basketball Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by dixiehack, Oct 18, 2021.

1. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

texasisback dot gif

7B995DCE-DF2D-4A75-B547-28931943029F.jpeg

2. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

I get giving the benefit of the doubt to Duke and Kansas as top 10 teams, but we're start Texas at No. 5? Am I missing something besides a coaching change that makes them better than last year.

3. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Ole Miss. Tennessee. Trash thrown by irate fans.

Seems like it was only two days ago. Actually, it was two and a half years ago.

4. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

I am reminded of Catch Phrase #3.

5. UPChip

UPChip Well-Known Member

6. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

I’m actually really cool with this, mostly because Bama skips its usual disemboweling trip to the Ozarks this season.

7. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

Madness? Huggins says majors need own tourney

What a complete misunderstanding of what makes the NCAA tournament a multi-billion dollar entity by Huggins.

The first weekend and all the excitement of filling out brackets is driven by mid-majors being in the tournament. Take them away and you have a giant version of the major conference conference tournaments, which grow staler and staler by the year.

But not a shock given the disdain Huggy Bear has shown toward the mid-majors that surround him at UC and WVU.

Also, the preseason No. 1 team in the country this year would also not be included in the tournament if Bob Huggins’ brilliant plan were enacted.

I Should Coco likes this.
  8. Mngwa

Mngwa Well-Known Member

How can someone have coached for so long in a sport and not understand the allure of the tournament?

HanSenSE likes this.
  9. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Because they only care about their money and winning a game. The rest of it is all bullshit for TV

10. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

I feel the same way about Gonzaga at No. 1. Win something for once.

11. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Props to Chris Beard in that story for recognizing the tournament is fine how it is, but I bet there's not as many big-time coaches who share his view as fans would think. It's a CYA business and being on the wrong end of those first-round upsets sticks with you forever. Make an all-big-boys tournament and no one will remember if a high seed gets bounced early by, say, Minnesota. That's in part because no one will be effing watching.

12. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

I was this close to being a Zag 4 Life. My dad, who spent more family time than not on an offshore platform in Louisiana, considered moving to the Smokestack for job about the time I was a sophomore in high school.

Draft saved Draft deleted