1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2020 The Preakness galloped right past us thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by HanSenSE, Oct 3, 2020.

1. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

And it was only spread across the top of the sports page I didn't read until a few minutes ago.

2. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

It was actually a hell of a race between her and Authentic. She took the lead at the last turn, he came on and she held him off.

Splendid Splinter and expendable like this.
  3. Noholesinone

Noholesinone Well-Known Member

Another great ride by a top jockey. It was 10 lengths back to third.

4. Jake from State Farm

Jake from State Farm Well-Known Member

The great thing about forgetting about the race is you can see it on any sports show afterward
    Great race

Fred siegle likes this.
  5. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

What a dump Pimlico was when I went, and that was more than 10 years ago. That said moving it to Laurel or whatever else they’ve discussed seems lame.

There is a little charm with the track being stuck in the middle of a lower-end working class neighborhood, as long as no one steals the tires off your car while you’re parked on some guy’s lawn.

6. Jake from State Farm

Jake from State Farm Well-Known Member

The late Detroit Race Course (now a Meijer) was right next to a Ford parts plant
    The most popular bar in my hometown was a place called the Derby Bar, nestled between the Ford and DRC parking lots
    Between shift change and the races, it always was packed
    Now Ford is the only one left

maumann likes this.
  7. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

Miami Jai-Alai had a barbed-wire fence around its parking lot, and I still think they had "smash and grabs" every evening. Calder and Hialeah weren't in particularly good neighborhoods, either.

Golden Gate Fields was the Candlestick Park of horse tracks: right on the Bay in Albany, where it's cold and windy almost every afternoon.

EDIT: My grandfather loved the ponies. Back in the day, you could be under 18 and get in to the morning workouts. We went to DRC and Hazel Park a few times, even in the winter.

8. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

When I worked at my college radio station in the early 80s, I had a credential for the LA Kings because we were an affiliate. My buddies would tag along and buy tickets then walk across the street from the Forum to Hollywood Park after the game and bet a couple night harness races while I was doing my postgame interviews and work.

Draft saved Draft deleted