1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2020 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame nominee screechfest

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Cosmo, Oct 15, 2019.

1. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

If you can get past the ridiculous trigger warning about Michael’s music, this Hit Parade podcast about Janet was really good.

Janet Jackson Envisioned the Sound of 21st-Century Pop in 1989

CD Boogie likes this.
  2. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

3. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

I wore out that Janet Jackson cassette in 1986 and 1987 (and possibly a tad bit into 1988 with Madonna between albums). After that I was over her. But she deserves her place in the RRHOF.

4. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

At my 80s-90s radio station, we have Black Cat, Rhythm Nation and Escapade in rotation.
    1814 is/was a helluva album.

5. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

How is Bryan Adams never mentioned as a worthy inductee? He certainly is. He's right on par with JC Mellencamp and a total contemporary. Thought of this while hearing "Somebody" on the radio this morning. He's got a long, varied career. "Run to You" and "Summer of '69" are great, great songs. "Heaven" is schmaltzy but still great in its way.

"Cuts Like A Knife" and "Reckless" are top of the best 10 albums of the 1980s. Plus, "One Night Love Affair" is playing when Mitch hits rock bottom in "Real Genius."

6. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Vombatus likes this.
  7. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

8. X-Hack

X-Hack Well-Known Member

"Cuts Like A Knife" was a great, great song. "Run To You" and "In The Heat Of The Night" were solid. Everything else was radio-friendly schlock, most of which sounded the same. Including the song he wrote for Roger Daltrey's solo album. And I cannot stand "Summer of '69."

9. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

And then there's the execrable "(Everything I Do) I Do It For You," and the somehow-even-worse "Have You Ever Really Loved a Woman?"

10. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

I used to dig it when HBO would do shows like this.

11. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

The site needs to create negative votes just for that piece of shit.

12. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

The class:
    Nine Inch Nails
    Notorious B.I.G.
    Whitney Houston
    Depeche Mode
    T-Rex
    Doobie Brothers

Draft saved Draft deleted