1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2020 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame nominee screechfest

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Cosmo, Oct 15, 2019.

1. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

The first :23 of the song trump the rest of the video.
    Great intro.

2. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

Neither was Janet Jackson. How she got in before Whitney Houston is fucking mindblowing.

3. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Did Whitney have a "rock" song. Janet had Black Cat and some of that Jam/Lewis stuff slammed. Whitney was pop and R and B.

4. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

• Pat Benatar - Yes. As bland as her music was, she was all over the airwaves in the late 1970s and early '80s.
    • Dave Matthews Band - Yes. Not my cup of tea, but they had a good run in the 1990s-2000s.
    • Depeche Mode - Yes. Not as good as the Cure or the Smiths, or, really, many bands of that ilk, but probably as popular as those.
    • The Doobie Brothers - No. Michael McDonald's voice is among the best in rock, but the without MM China Grove song gets them disqualified.
    • Whitney Houston - No. I was awakened to one of her songs played at top volume while driving to Steamboat Springs for a ski trip during spring break 30 years ago. Fuck no.
    • Judas Priest - Yes. Eh, good enough.
    • Kraftwerk - I've heard the name more than I've heard their songs.
    • MC5 - No. If crazy makes you eligible, GG Allin should be in first.
    • Motörhead - Yes? Better in the Hall of Maybe.
    • Nine Inch Nails - Yes. For the Broken EP alone.
    • The Notorious B.I.G. - No. It ain't the Rap and Roll Hall of Fame.
    • Rufus featuring Chaka Khan - No. Dear god, no.
    • Todd Rundgren - No. Hall of Maybe. And he wasn't even Liv Tyler's dad.
    • Soundgarden - Yes. Full on Kevin's Mom, ya'll.
    • T.Rex - N0. Only thing I know of them is a song The Power Station did better.
    • Thin Lizzy - Yes. Meh.

5. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

I still remember the first time I heard that song.

6. CD Boogie

“I wanna dance with somebody” isn’t rock? I will fight you

jk

7. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Closest thing Whitney had to rock was the "noseful of loving" she was swimming with when they found her bloated corpse.

8. CD Boogie

:eek:

9. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

I’ve never gotten the Janet Jackson thing — she’s totally a creature of excellent production, along with her PR machine, looks, personality and videos. For me, in terms of singing, she’s a contestant who gets voted off in week 3.

10. CD Boogie

She was damn sexy, but what made her any different/better than Paula Abdul? They had very similar careers IMHO.

11. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

Janet was far, far more successful — Nipplegate kind of overshadows everything but she was a massive star for a few years. Paula Abdul has an even weaker voice but had great videos, was really good looking and played the celebrity game really well.

12. CD Boogie

Yup, you're right. Just checked her Billboard history and she had 10 (!) No. 1 hits. Man, I don't even remember most of these songs, at least by their names.

Janet Jackson Chart History

Draft saved Draft deleted