1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2020 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame nominee screechfest

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Cosmo, Oct 15, 2019.

1. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Okay - picturing them - still think of Benatar first.

2. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

I can't like this enough.

I know this train left the station long ago, but Whitney Houston in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame seems incongruous to me.

3. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

I suspect there might be a connection with your age when she was on top.

4. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Very much so I agree.

5. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

The RRHOF hates anything 80s/early 90s with keyboards, so you can scratch Depeche Mode, NIN and Kraftwerk right off the bat.

Of the ones who deserve to be in, the list is filled with them. I do think Benatar belongs as a pioneering rock woman, and how Whitney was never chosen before, I don't understand. And if Tupac is in, Biggie should be in too.

I'm not a Thin Lizzy hater, but many in America consider them a one-hit wonder. They actually have a great body of work that was more popular in the UK. Their original "Whisky In The Jar" is fabulous, as well as "Jailbreak."

6. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

"Jailbreak" gave us the immortal line "Tonight there's gonna be a jailbreak/Somewhere in this town."

It's probably going to be at the jail.

7. cyclingwriter2

cyclingwriter2 Well-Known Member

The Cowboy Song (chorus was roll me over, and turn me around/let me keep spinning til i hit the ground) is another great one and has an absolutely killer guitar part.

8. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

Doobie or not Doobie, that was Raj’s question.

9. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

Crüe for sure belongs

10. X-Hack

X-Hack Well-Known Member

100 percent. I suspect the RRHOF thinks it's sufficiently recognized 80s/90s glam metal by inducting GNR (who were NOT a "hair band"), but Motley Crue (also not a "hair band" like, say, Winger, Warrant, Cinderella or the underrated Poison) absolutely deserves recognition. Critics hated them but their influence and success is undeniable.

11. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

The music video for Unskinny Bop permanently disqualifies Poison from future consideration.

Wenders likes this.
  12. Junkie

Junkie Well-Known Member

If Pat Benatar doesn't get in, it's hard to imagine another solo female rocker getting in. There weren't many of them and she's the last. Then, make way for the Avril Lavigne, Taylor Swift, Adele, etc., classes. (Many of them will deserve it, but they're not rock singers.)

Draft saved Draft deleted