1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2020 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame nominee screechfest

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Cosmo, Oct 15, 2019.

1. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

Chaka solo, no. Rufus (with Chaka), no. Chaka solo plus Rufus (with Chaka), yes.

And Biggie’s two albums were monumental. I think he gets in at some point.

2. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

OK, I have the proper time to bloviate on this now...
    • Pat Benatar - NO. Good singer. Unimpressive body of work. Like, one memorable song and the most generic 80s rock sound.
    • Dave Matthews Band - NO. They'll get in at some point and I don't have a huge problem with that. He's just always seemed like a less interesting Johnny Clegg to me.
    • Depeche Mode - YES. There are other 80s new wave acts that should absolutely be in ahead of them -- primarily The Smiths and Joy Division/New Order -- but DM should be in.
    • The Doobie Brothers - NO. I mean, the most enthusiasm I can muster is "A few of their songs are pretty good."
    • Whitney Houston - YES. Great singer. I absolutely do not give a shit about any of her work -- totally not my thing -- but there was a long stretch when she was pretty much unquestioned as the greatest singer working.
    • Judas Priest - YES. Really ought to be Iron Maiden instead, but they'd probably get my vote.
    • Kraftwerk - YES. Absolutely huge techno pioneers. Great on their own and massive influence from 80s synth bands to modern dance music.
    • MC5 - NO. Groundbreaking but just not that great.
    • Motörhead - YES. Should have happened already.
    • Nine Inch Nails - NO. I have nothing to add. Stripper Music Hall of Fame, maybe.
    • The Notorious B.I.G. - NO, but I could totally be swayed on this one. It's totally outside my wheelhouse. I have no issue at all with rap in the hall, and I'm just not really qualified to judge on this one.
    • Rufus featuring Chaka Khan - YES, but it's not an enthusiastic yes. Ultimately it seems like Chaka Khan belongs in.
    • Todd Rundgren - NO. Brilliant guy, done a lot of great work, but I struggle to make a case for him.
    • Soundgarden - YES. That's a solidly terrific run. Chris Cornell is an all time great singer. Kim Thayil sounds like nobody else on guitar.
    • T.Rex - NO. Just not enough there.
    • Thin Lizzy - YES. Great band.

And, my list of people who should be in:

Dick Dale
    Joe Cocker
    The Smiths
    New Order/Joy Division
    DEVO
    Outkast
    Iron Maiden
    The Pixies

X-Hack likes this.
  3. X-Hack

X-Hack Well-Known Member

Ditto to all of that, except Biggie is a YES.

4. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

I will add Little Feat to PC's list.

Neutral Corner likes this.
  5. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I'm a huge Doobie Brothers fan, to the point that it's a punchline with my family. We were at a restaurant a while back where some dude was playing for tips and he said "if you want to hear a certain song, let me know," and my kid immediately whispered to me "do NOT ask him for the Doobie Brothers." And I always joke with my wife that we're going to see them in concert, even though we don't do concerts and I really don't have an interest in seeing a rock band with members as old as my mother. But even I'll say they're Hall of Very Good, if you're running a HOF with tight standards. Except the RRHOF seems to be all over the map, so put in the Doobies!

Flip Wilson likes this.
  6. cyclingwriter2

cyclingwriter2 Well-Known Member

The case for/against the doobie brothers comes down to your reactions to their appearance on Whats Happening!!

Flip Wilson, playthrough and MTM like this.
  7. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 16, 2019
    Webster and cyclingwriter2 like this.
  8. mpcincal

mpcincal Well-Known Member

If Judas Priest gets in (which I wholeheartedly support), then you have to figure Iron Maiden gets in very soon. Those two bands were like the Magic and Bird of the British heavy metal movement in the '80s, and there's no way you can make the case that one deserves to go in and the other doesn't.

9. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Or their appearance on Dinah Shore.

Dinah! | TV Guide

cyclingwriter2 likes this.
  10. X-Hack

X-Hack Well-Known Member

Iron Maiden is a superior band to both Priest and Motorhead. But rock critics hate anything progg-ish. Motorhead is Iron Maiden had they never evolved beyond their first two albums, the ones with Paul DiAnno. Had Maiden quit after that point, they might be in already, without ever having done their greatest stuff. And I say that as a big Judas Priest fan as well (though I've always been kind of lukewarm to Motorhead. They were fine but I never found them all that interesting to listen to for more than a couple of songs).

11. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

More snubs.

A few of the more egregious snubs IMO.

Ozzy Osbourne- Sabbath is in, yes. Ozzy is infinitely more popular solo than with Sabbath.
    Peter Frampton
    Waylon Jennings
    Motley Crue

12. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

Janis? Anne and Nancy Wilson? Annie Lennox? Chrissie Hynde? Stevie Nicks? Linda Ronstadt? Joan Jett? Grace Slick?

Last edited: Oct 16, 2019
    Wenders and Flip Wilson like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted