1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2020 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame nominee screechfest

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Cosmo, Oct 15, 2019.

1. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Joan could get in JUST for this song which is better 35 years later.

Great video still.

2. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

I guess. I mean, I really enjoy Joan Jett (and the good picks of the Runaways ... they were either really good or really shit), but I think it's a flimsy resume. Like Blondie in a different genre, she was a bit of a darling of the East Coast, aka Rolling Stone after 1977, media. That goes a long ways as we all know.

I really don't know why Blondie are in either. Immensely popular for a very short window, far less time as hit makers than Benatar honestly, none of their "sounds" were created by them (they weren't the first punks or new wavers or disco sellouts). Don't get it.

3. Bubbler

Love that song and the video is early 80s cheapie hilarious, but like most Jett hits, it's a cover. Better than Gary Glitter's now uber-creepy original considering what his fate turned out to be, but a cover nonetheless.

Here's a rare original by Jett that rawks.

4. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

I think she probably influenced quite a few female musicians who came in her wake.

5. Junkie

Junkie Well-Known Member

Yeah, Blondie doesn't make a ton of sense. Until I looked just now, I didn't realize how short their heyday was. Maybe because I was in junior high or so at the time it seemed like a lot longer, because those years dragged on forever. Benatar had a nice run and something like 15 top-40 hits, and a couple near-misses, but no chart-toppers (Blondie had four), and no song that really moved many needles, which both "The Tide is High" and "Rapture" did for Blondie, both of them major departures for both the band and top 40 at the time. Benatar's best song, arguably at least, was "Hell is for Children," which never got released as a single, I imagine because of the subject matter.

Bubbler likes this.
  6. Junkie

Junkie Well-Known Member

Maybe in terms of getting them to pick up guitars and play, which is great. I meant more musically. She played basic three-chord rock, which is awesome to listen to, and her takes on stuff like "Crimson and Clover" and "Love is All Around" are outstanding, but it's tough to pick out someone who followed in her footsteps musically who wasn't merely following the footsteps Joan already followed herself.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2020
  7. Bubbler

I'll admit that arguing for Benatar is like arguing a Baseball Hall Of Fame case based on Harold Baines' resume, but the RRHOF set the bar lower by their own dint, so they opened the door to those kind of arguments. (I'd go with "Shadows Of The Night" as her best. Perfect power pop song filtered through a skosh of new wave synths.)

I agree on Jett. She definitely influenced the riot grrrrl movement of the early-mid 90s, but that was a very short-lived thing that was more fad than anything lasting.

8. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

Suzi Quatro deserved to get in!

9. Junkie

Junkie Well-Known Member

Not before Roz Kelly!

heyabbott likes this.
  10. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

Pinky Tuscadero >> Leather Tuscadero

11. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member