1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2020 Pro Wrestling Thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by nietsroob17, Jan 17, 2020.

1. nietsroob17

nietsroob17 Well-Known Member

Watched the Dark Side special on Brawl For All.

I'm starting to think Cornette and Russo don't like each other. I don't know ... maybe it was Jim referring to Vince as "the skidmark on the underwear of life."

2. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

That’s one of the kinder things Cornette has said about Russo.

3. nietsroob17

Among the wilder thoughts from the special was Russo's claim that the whole concept was essentially a rib to undermine cocky Bradshaw.

However, when you look back on it, Bradshaw was just about the only guy in the tournament who had any semblance of success afterward (Bob Holly, too ... maybe).

4. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

The Cornette-Russo feud is tiresome, although Cornette did have a point. Russo was mocking Cornette and the others for taking wrestling so seriously, and then Cornette pointed out Droz’s injury as why they take the business so seriously.

I also don’t think Russo was very sincere when he said that he wouldn’t propose the series today because of our knowledge of concussions. He just seemed unrepentant about how dumb the original idea was.

5. Baron Scicluna

Godfather had a minor push, and had a brief IC championship run back when they were passing the belt around like the 24/7 title today.

They still could have given Bart Gunn a title shot or something. Instead, they got him nearly killed by Butterbean. I also found it interesting that Butterbean said that had Bart just gone out there swinging like he did in the tournament, he would have had a chance; but instead, he tried to box, and since he had no experience, he got clobbered.

6. mpcincal

mpcincal Well-Known Member

I saw the Brawl for All episode and it was pretty enlightening. I honestly hadn't known that the seed for that was planted with Russo's wish to see JBL get beat up.

The whole Bart Gunn saga was just another example of WWE punishing guys for stuff that they should have blamed themselves for. "Oh, we want you to fight for real to see who the toughest guy is. Wait, we didn't mean you, Bart!"

The Cornette hate for Russo has been legendary in wrestling circles. Just check out Corny's shoot interviews on YouTube or just about any one of his podcasts.

Finally, if anyone had a low opinion of Russo after this episode, it's probably going to be multiplied after the Owen Hart episode comes out.

7. nietsroob17

In more sheltering in place TV watching, I watched "The Main Event" -- a WWE-produced Netflix movie, where a kid gets super strength from an old Lucha mask he found.

It has Otis as one of the bad guys with his supersonic flatulence as a finishing move. Can't wait to see Vince catch wind of this and make it real life.

8. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Been there, done that.

Classic Induction: Big Show's Poop Problem - Sometimes These Things Just Write Themselves - WrestleCrap - The Very Worst of Pro Wrestling!

9. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

Sweet baby Jesus. My TV got stuck on SmackDown and my God how can anyone watch that without a crowd? Wrestling really needs an audience.

10. mpcincal

mpcincal Well-Known Member

My thoughts exactly. I've haven't been watching regularly as it is, but I just can't get into a wrestling show on what is essentially a soundstage with no audience reaction. Even the old NWA broacast on TBS needed that small crowd in the Atlanta studio. I understand why WWE has to do it, but I just have no interest in watching.

Spartan Squad likes this.
  11. nietsroob17

AEW has done it a lot better, with the wrestlers scattered in the crowd, and now with Jericho and Schiavone in the booth.

Spartan Squad likes this.
  12. Baron Scicluna

Agreed, although I skipped this week’s show because I was watching Gargano-Ciampa.

Same here. I’ve essentially skipped most of Raw and Smackdown after the novelty of no crowds wore off.

Draft saved Draft deleted