1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2020 Pro Wrestling Thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by nietsroob17, Jan 17, 2020.

1. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Titus O'Neill punctuates that ... match ... with the greatest, most accurate piece of WWE commentary ever.

Baron Scicluna likes this.
  2. nietsroob17

nietsroob17 Well-Known Member

I was so praying for Bray to transform into his dad.

3. nietsroob17

I can't believe I'm saying this, but if not for being forced to go without a crowd, WWE probably wouldn't have even thought a need to create the Boneyard and Funhouse matches, so there's something there.

4. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Call me crazy (yeah, I know), but I thoroughly enjoyed that Firefly “match”. That was nuts.

Drew’s win was eh. He needed a crowd.

Gutter and nietsroob17 like this.
  5. nietsroob17

Yeah. That and Braun last night.

6. nietsroob17

Damn. Only about 5 minutes in, and this Undertaker doc is fuckin' excellent.

7. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

The two Wrestlemania world championship matches, by the numbers:
    • Title changes: 2
    • Combined length: 7 minutes
    • Combined number of moves performed, excluding basic punches: 6

Baron Scicluna likes this.
  8. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Maybe the Firefly match will grow on me, but it was a little too nuts for my tastes.
    I thoroughly enjoyed the Boneyard match, which was cinematic but felt more grounded. You could tell those guys had a personal grudge to settle. It was like the last scene of a movie. The gang of druids made me cringe a bit because it was over the top, but the rest of it really worked.
    The Firefly match was just too weird. It was like Bray and Cena dropped acid before coming up with that. I applaud them for doing something different, but it just wasn't my cup of tea.

9. nietsroob17

Now, this Edge doc. Wow.

Even addressing that "another company within the industry" had reached out to him. Had to have been AEW.

10. nickp

nickp Active Member

Well done to all involved despite being no fans WrestleMania was great

11. JimmyHoward33

JimmyHoward33 Well-Known Member

The only response to all that, to quote mcbossman, such good shit.

they did the 2 cinema matches perfectly. Takers was serious. Brays was goofy. They were different enough to both be memorable and incredible in their own rights without taking any shine off each other. Thats gotta be harder than it looks. Well friggin done.

The matches in the ring were all rather forgettable. Id put Edges as best, followed by Rollins, followed probably by Flair-Ripley, then the ladder match.

the two title world matches were quite poor.

12. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

I get that Goldberg’s an attraction, but at some point, someone has to tell him to increase his moveset a little. Doing two moves over and over again is ridiculous. He’s had 15 years to come up with something else. At least Brock can mix it up a little in between Germans and F-5s.

Would learning a headlock, an armbar (!) and a bodyslam be so difficult?

Draft saved Draft deleted