1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2020 Pro Wrestling Thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by nietsroob17, Jan 17, 2020.

1. JimmyHoward33

JimmyHoward33 Well-Known Member

They cant let Sting work if they’re still positioning themselves as the safer worker-protected enviromnent vs the big bad abusive corporate machine

2. JRoyal

JRoyal Well-Known Member

I hate saying this, but Pat McAfee makes NXT better. He cuts a heckuva promo.

Baron Scicluna and JimmyHoward33 like this.
  3. JimmyHoward33

4. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

For half a second, I thought the reference to Pat and NXT was for McAfee because of the previous post. I had to do a nice double-take.

JimmyHoward33 likes this.
  5. HappyCurmudgeon

HappyCurmudgeon Well-Known Member

Shawn Michaels credited Patterson for him starting to use the super kick as his finisher. Patterson told him he loved the way it snapped and it was a good finisher to use against bigger men and be believable.

sgreenwell likes this.
  6. JimmyHoward33

Ive sat with it for a day to see if it grew on me....

it didn’t. Mox-Omega wasnt good. The match was a let down and the finish was some ‘99 wcw stuff.

its playing to a very low percentage of fans that follow impact, just like Kevin Nash and Russo used to wink at the low number of informed internet fans.

i tune in to see a 6 star Tokyo Dome exhibition and I get an angle built around the Jakal? Really?

Huggy likes this.
  7. Baron Scicluna

I think Shawn also said Nash (or Hall, can’t recall which), has first suggested the super kick as his finisher because they told him it was his best move.

Before that, Shawn was alternating using a piledriver and a back suplex as his finishers, which were kinda meh.

8. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

Kind of interesting how the finisher really seemed to become a thing as TV got more and more established. Like, even major stars of the 1980s and early 1990s had some pretty non-interesting finishers - Hogan's leg drop, and Warrior used like... a power slam or big splash? Can't even remember.

Batman and JimmyHoward33 like this.
  9. Gutter

Gutter Well-Known Member

Gorilla press into a running splash off the ropes onto the back.

sgreenwell likes this.
  10. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Totally agree, really disappointing and as Schiavone said at the end, "Bullshit".

Inky_Wretch, Batman and JimmyHoward33 like this.
  11. Baron Scicluna

Warrior would do the gorilla press and splash combo for opponents he could lift up. If he couldn't lift them up, he would just do the splash. I was OK with the combo because I could see that it was realistic. If you're being held seven feet in the air, then dropped, you'll be stunned for a few seconds, and then getting 280 pounds jumping on you could stun you for a few more seconds while you get pinned. Never liked it when he did just the splash, because I always thought the big fat guys should be the ones using it for a finish.

Finishes and patented moves have been around for 100+ years or so. Strangler Lewis' finisher was a headlock (seriously) that he would keep applying to opponents. Other guys in the 1930s would be famous for their dropkick (Dropkick Murphy). As TV started, other wrestlers had their finishes (Lou Thesz with the Lou Thesz Press and the powerbomb, which must have been a 'holy shit' move in the 50s; Buddy Rogers with the figure-four leglock).

There's always been finishing moves. It's only been fairly recent (last 20 years or so), that it's become a thing to kick out of finishers.

sgreenwell likes this.
  12. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Any time Don Callis shows up, it’s a sign that something stupid is about to happen.

The person Don Callis is best at getting over is Don Callis, and people keep forgetting that. That’s why he was PNG’d right out of WWE/WWF.

sgreenwell likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted