1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2020 Pro Wrestling Thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by nietsroob17, Jan 17, 2020.

1. clintrichardson

clintrichardson Active Member

I get not wanting to have wrestling titles belong exclusively to people like Kevin Nash and Batista and Braun Strowman and so on. But I need some plausible explanation why someone is difficult to beat–whether it be size, best technical wrestler, master of submissions, dirtiest player in the game, toughest SOB., super intense, wildly acrobatic, devastating finisher....something.

I think you couldn't even do Orange Cassidy v. Hager because of eye test issues.

JimmyHoward33 likes this.
  2. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Because on any given night, anyone can win if they match up well. If you're looking at sports, you have superstar baseball players who clobber ace pitchers, but can't do a thing against the 11th man on the pitching staff because maybe they have a weird pitch that the superstar can't hit. In the NFL, it's on any given Sunday, a 2-12 team can compete, and maybe beat, a 12-2 team, if they match up well.

Wrestling-wise, I think of rationales such as Flair/Steamboat. Flair could beat guys like Dusty, Luger, Terry Funk, Vader, Windham. But he would always have trouble with Steamboat because of how their skills match up.

You look at guys who start out dominant (Undertaker, Kane, The Fiend), but eventually, their opponents get in enough offense on them, and eventually, they lose, and can lose frequently. The idea is that when they first start out, nobody knows anything about them, so they squash everyone. But eventually, their weaknesses are discovered, and eventually, those weaknesses get exploited.

In a way, one can use sports as a rationale for why little guys can beat big guys, or why big guys start out dominant, then start to lose.

3. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Or Rey Mysterio.

4. nietsroob17

nietsroob17 Well-Known Member

Lemme guess ... we're going to have Rey/Dom vs. Murphy for custody of Aalyah?

5. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Nah, Cassidy comes off as potentially more dangerous and more intelligent because he doesn’t talk about how dangerous he is. Or talk. At all.

6. JimmyHoward33

JimmyHoward33 Well-Known Member

I dont have a handy list of who’s beaten AJ Styles AND Daniel Bryan clean in the last 5 years but its gotta be pretty short and now Jay Usos on it....

7. nietsroob17

He may no longer have the Mania streak, but Taker is now 2-0 against holiday characters on the Tonight Show.

8. nietsroob17

It's the return of fake Undertaker! But which one is the real one?!?!

9. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Kofi makes a joke that Lana told them Lashley only lasts 8 seconds.

Somewhere, BYH is smiling.

Batman likes this.
  10. nietsroob17

Retribution still sucks, and what the hell is the point of Mia Yim? Shouldn't she have already started butting her way into the women's picture already?

And Tucker Knight already looks like he's two steps from the unemployment line. He just screams nondescript jobber to the stars now.

11. JimmyHoward33

JimmyHoward33 Well-Known Member

give him credit for getting his last name on TV that’s a mild upset

Baron Scicluna likes this.
  12. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

This ties into something I’ve been wondering for a couple of weeks now.

Why does NWA have its women’s champion defending its belt on the marquee program of a competing organization? This has happened more than once.

Postscript:

sgreenwell likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted