1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2020 Pro Wrestling Thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by nietsroob17, Jan 17, 2020.

1. nietsroob17

nietsroob17 Well-Known Member

And a few minutes later ... only a couple weeks after getting maimed by a chair...

2. JimmyHoward33

JimmyHoward33 Well-Known Member

Imagine the inside joke shade aew would throw if say this was brie bella hammering the E for letting Daniel Bryan keep going....

3. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

If someone is an independent contractor, they’re not supposed to be told when to work. They can be requested to show up early, and if they don’t, have the work given to someone else, but the E also has fined people for showing up late or not showing up, which makes it appear to be an obligation for the wrestler to show up at a certain time.

Now. It’s probably in the contract that is signed that the E can do this, which they would argue the wrestlers are voluntarily signing away their IC rights, which would then be up to a court or two to decide if they’re allowed to offer such a contract.

As for the minor leagues, they may be more of how the IC model does work. Wrestler A works for Promotion X on Friday, goes to Promotion Y on Saturday and does Independent Show Z on Sunday. The promoters are not demanding exclusivity, and the wrestler, prior to agreeing for those shows, can negotiate creative control (he’ll only go to Z if he’s winning).

4. nietsroob17

The tweet went away because Reby turned her account private, but I saw it before.

Reby isn't exactly calm, cool and collected on her best day ... but seeing her husband pull off that stunt while their little boys were watching? I don't blame her.

JimmyHoward33 likes this.
  5. JimmyHoward33

JimmyHoward33 Well-Known Member

I like aew in general and i dont think wwe is above reproach by any means. If you’re gonna take the attitude the elite and kahn have taken about being safer and better and less of a corporate evil than the big bad mcmahons you cannot fuck up like they did last night. You look like absolute morons.

Only other recent incident like this I can think of is Enzo getting KO’d by the rope and wwe ended the match immediately

Baron Scicluna likes this.
  6. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Last edited: Sep 6, 2020
    JimmyHoward33 likes this.
  7. nietsroob17

All these times they start blaring ambulance sirens, I'm expecting to hear "Holla if you hear me!"

If only we could be so lucky.

8. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Anyone else find it a little awkward that the WWE's black wrestlers all seem to be placed in their own factions?
    First the New Day and now the Hurt Business? They've made it work exceptionally well in both cases -- New Day is probably a Hall of Fame-level tag team at this point, and the Hurt Business is doing a great job elevating some of the mid-carders who were spinning their wheels -- which counts for something, but it's hard not to notice. Especially when the Hurt Business seems to be feuding exclusively with the other black wrestlers.

9. nietsroob17

And looks like R-Truth is back in his old tag team with Little Jimmy.

10. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

And the Street Profits are a tag team.
    Like I said, it's hard to overly criticize any gimmick that gets over, and all of them -- New Day, Hurt Business, R-Truth and the Street Profits -- have or are getting over. In the case of New Day and Hurt Business, it has taken some guys who were floundering and given them a career-saving boost. It's just something I've really noticed with the Hurt Business and their recent feuds, probably because of the sheer number of wrestlers involved.

11. nietsroob17

Looks like Ivar legit hurt himself on that dive through the ropes. As soon as he landed, he made the X sign. May have been a stinger or something neck-related because he was trying to flex his hand. Also, MVP's legs were under Ivar's body, hence why he wasn't in the post-match celebration.

12. nietsroob17

Man, Adam Pearce is more useless than Brisco and Patterson. Can't get Roman to sign the contract, can't stop Retribution, can't keep Drew McIntyre out of the building...

Draft saved Draft deleted