1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2020 Pro Football Hall of Fame Class

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Della9250, Aug 2, 2019.

1. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

I think once Coryell passed it doomed his fate with the regular selectors

2. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

Who were you comparing Jackie Robinson to? He is a top-5 2b easily. Sure, maybe ignore his shortened career and his position, he might not be so good.

3. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

Last edited: Nov 26, 2019
  4. Della9250

I missed on seven. Went with Donovan McNabb, Herschel Walker (because of his overall pro contributions in a centennial year vote) over Taylor and Watters, Abraham over Young, Harrison over Barber and Butler (which in hindsight was stupid), McGinest over Banks and Jeff Saturday and Steve Wisniewski

If I'm guessing at the class, it will be Polamalu, James, Faneca, Hutchinson and Lynch. The only others that have a shot this time are Willis, Atwater and Bruce.

I think the final 15 are:

Steve Atwater
    Carl Banks
    Tony Boselli
    Isaac Bruce
    LeRoy Butler
    Alan Faneca
    Steve Hutchinson
    Edgerrin James
    John Lynch
    Troy Polamalu
    Simeon Rice
    Richard Seymour
    Hines Ward
    Reggie Wayne
    Patrick Willis

If someone doesn't make it, it will be Banks, but I think this is the token -- have your case heard in the room before you get sent packing to the Senior Committee, like they did with Everson Walls last season

5. CD Boogie

What about Zach Thomas? He was a five-time first-team All-Pro and made eight Pro Bowls. As has been said, Pro Bowls aren't a great indicator overall, but 5 All Pros is pretty damn impressive.

Carl Banks is OK, but ya add him to Carson and LT and that's overrating that Giants defense. They were very good, but three Hall of Fame linebackers is overstating things. I mean, Carl Banks made one Pro Bowl and one All Pro. Very good, but no better than Greg Lloyd, who made 3 straight All-Pros, 5 Pro Bowls, twice led the league in forced fumbles and has the 15th most (35) ever.

EDIT: BTW, would never have guessed the league didn't start tracking FF until 1993. Wonder how many LT had that were never recorded.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2019
  6. Della9250

I think if Willis didn't come on the ballot this year and they weren't throwing Banks a bone, he'd be one of the 15.

But Atwater, Boselli, Bruce, Faneca, Hutchinson, James, Lynch and Seymour were finalists last year. Polamalu and Willis will be finalists. So there's five spots. I'm guessing Banks gets one. That would leave four spots and I imagine one is going to at least another receiver and another defensive lineman. So we are down to do.

Thomas could sneak in but I think he is undervalued by the selection committee. He didn't become a semifinalist until last year after being on the initial list for the three years prior. Of course I don't know how they felt guys like Banks, Bryant Young, Fred Taylor and Rickey Watters finally deserved to get this point after never being semifinalists.

7. CD Boogie

How much does the composition of the selection committee change year to year?

8. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

He will never make it, but Simeon Rice is a Hall of Famer.
    122 sacks in 174 career games is elite production for a pass rusher.

9. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Not very much. Many years not at all.

10. Della9250

He'll probably make it at some point. He's been a semifinalist two of the last three years. It's going to take a weak first-timer group to get him through to the final 15

11. DanielSimpsonDay

DanielSimpsonDay Well-Known Member

More deserving, Simeon Rice or Carl Banks?

12. Della9250

Rice, and I don't know how close it is unless you want to give Banks extra credit for the extra ring.

Draft saved Draft deleted