1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2020 Pro Football Hall of Fame Class

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Della9250, Aug 2, 2019.

1. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

Why is Paul Tagliabue divisive? He stabilized relations with the union. I know he is criticized for giving the players to much money. But franchise values continued to appreciate during his tenure.

What makes him unworthy?

2. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Warren Zevon

3. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

The biggest knock on him from the outside looking in is the lack of player safety/concussion stuff that has been viewed differently in hindsight.

But I think King is speaking about him from the voter's perspective and what has been said in the room. Tagliabue has been a finalist four times, including two years ago in his first time as a contributor's nominee, and can't get the votes.

Since they added the Contributor designation, seven of the eight have been inducted. He is the lone no vote.

So Kings is basically saying -- if you put him on the list and you are voting yes/no on everyone at once -- he's a guy who might get five or six nos and if there are other players/contributors/coaches who draw no votes for being on the list, you'd submarine the whole class since 10 nos equals no induction.

4. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

He's 100 percent right on this. That is dumb and can create all sorts of unintended consequences.

5. cyclingwriter2

cyclingwriter2 Well-Known Member

I’m of two minds on who this groups needs to select.
    There is merit to cleaning up the mistakes of the past and make sure some of the forgotten guys of the early years get in. However, as someone who follows the Hall, I don’t see a lot of grousing ala the baseball hof had for years where it was “how can you joe tinker in when clearly superior players like George Davis are not.” I can probably point to some early stars who are in the Hall of Fame who shouldn’t be in, but it’s not many and there really aren’t any super cases of players who got shorted from that era that I know of. And I hate to play this card, these guys are dead...why enshrine them when there are deserving living players out there.

As for the living players, there is no way they will catch all of the deserving guys who got missed over the years with this net. However, I would rather see an effort than just keep forgetting those guys.

6. Della9250

Baseball actually did this in 1945-46, when Landis put together a Committee to put in 19th century/overlooked guys. They put in 10 guys in 1945 and 11 more in 1946. Only seven of the 21 were alive at their induction and four of those died withon a year

cyclingwriter2 likes this.
  7. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Mile High - obviously you know the Broncos well - I was wondering why I couldn't think of who the Broncos GM was pre-Elway and found they had seven GMs between the Ralston era and Elway taking over - don't think any of them did anything with another franchise after. Was Bowlen involved in the GM stuff? Were Reeeves and later Shanahan defacto GMs during their runs? Just found it kind of odd.

8. cyclingwriter2

cyclingwriter2 Well-Known Member

While not overtly systematic, the Hall did a good job of guiding the veterans committee in the late 1950s and into the 1960s in selecting guys who should have gotten in earlier. But it fell apart because these guys were mainly dead and not drawing fans. Of course, Frisch then got a hold of the committee and loaded up the selections with his buddies.

9. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

John Beake was the GM under Reeves, but Reeves pretty much pulled the trigger. Beake was there through the second title in 1998 when Shanahan gained a lot more power.

Bowlen started going downhill in the latter part of the 2000s, leading to the Shanahan firing and the ill-fated McDaniels tenure. That's when Elway was brought in and it's been great except the past three years, notably with Bowlen out of sight and not running the day-to-day operations.

10. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Just thought it was odd I'd never even thought about the Broncos GM position before Elway - they put together some good teams.

11. Della9250

Initial candidate list is out. 122 names and 8 first-timers -- Troy Polamalu, Maurice Jones-Drew, Patrick Willis, Justin Smith, John Abraham, Reggie Wayne, Lance Briggs and Josh Cribbs.

122 MODERN ERA NOMINEES FOR THE HALL OF FAMES CLASS OF 2020 | Pro Football Hall of Fame Official Site

Quarterbacks
    (7) – Randall Cunningham, Jake Delhomme, Boomer Esiason, Jeff Garcia, Jeff Hostetler, Dave Krieg, Donovan McNabb

Running Backs
    (19) – Shaun Alexander, Mike Alstott (FB), Tiki Barber, Earnest Byner, Larry Centers, Corey Dillon, Eddie George, Priest Holmes, Edgerrin James, Daryl Johnston (FB), Thomas Jones, Maurice Jones-Drew, Eric Metcalf (also WR/KR/PR), Lorenzo Neal (FB), Clinton Portis, Fred Taylor, Herschel Walker (also KR), Chris Warren, Ricky Watters

Wide Receivers
    (12) – Isaac Bruce, Gary Clark, Donald Driver, Henry Ellard (also PR), Torry Holt, Chad Johnson, Derrick Mason, Muhsin Muhammad, Jimmy Smith, Rod Smith, Hines Ward, Reggie Wayne

Tight Ends
    (6) – Dallas Clark, Ben Coates, Keith Jackson, Brent Jones, Jeremy Shockey, Wesley Walls

Offensive Linemen
    (19) – Willie Anderson (T), Matt Birk (C), Tony Boselli (T), Lomas Brown (T), Ray Donaldson (C), Alan Faneca (G), Kevin Gogan (G/T), Jordan Gross (T), Chris Hinton (G/T), Kent Hull (C), Steve Hutchinson (G), Lincoln Kennedy (T/G), Olin Kreutz (C), Chris Samuels (T), Jeff Saturday (C), Brian Waters (G), Richmond Webb (T), Erik Williams (T), Steve Wisniewski (G)

Defensive Linemen
    (11) – John Abraham (DE also LB), La’Roi Glover (DT/NT), Casey Hampton (DT/NT), Chester McGlockton (DT), Leslie O’Neal (DE), Simeon Rice (DE), Richard Seymour (DT),
    Justin Smith (DE), Neil Smith (DE), Greg Townsend (DT/NT), Bryant Young (DT)

Linebackers
    (17) – Carl Banks, Cornelius Bennett, Lance Briggs, Tedy Bruschi, James Farrior, London Fletcher, Seth Joyner, Wilber Marshall, Clay Matthews, Willie McGinest (also DE), Sam Mills, Chris Spielman, Takeo Spikes, Darryl Talley, Zach Thomas, Jessie Tuggle, Patrick Willis

Defensive Backs
    (15) – Eric Allen (CB), Steve Atwater (S), Ronde Barber (CB/S), LeRoy Butler (S), Nick Collins (S), Merton Hanks (S), Rodney Harrison (S), Albert Lewis (CB), John Lynch (S), Terry McDaniel (CB), Tim McDonald (S), Troy Polamalu (SS), Bob Sanders (S), Troy Vincent (CB), Darren Woodson (S)

Punters/Kickers
    (11) – David Akers (K), Gary Anderson (K), Jason Elam (K), Jeff Feagles (P), Jason Hanson (K), Sean Landeta (P), Ryan Longwell (K), Nick Lowery (K), Reggie Roby (P), Rohn Stark (P), Matt Turk (P)

Special Teams
    (5) – Johnny Bailey (PR/KR also RB), Josh Cribbs (KR/PR also WR), Mel Gray (PR/KR also WR), Brian Mitchell (KR/PR also RB), Steve Tasker (ST also WR)

12. Della9250

My guess at the 25 semifinalists

Donovan McNabb

Edgerrin James, Herschel Walker

Isaac Bruce, Torry Holt, Hines Ward, Reggie Wayne

Tony Boselli, Alan Faneca, Steve Hutchinson, Jeff Saturday, Steve Wisniewski

John Abraham, Simeon Rice, Richard Seymour

Clay Matthews, Willie McGinest, Sam Mills, Zach Thomas, Patrick Willis

Steve Atwater, Rodney Harrison, John Lynch, Troy Polamalu

Steve Tasker

Draft saved Draft deleted