1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2020 Pro Football Hall of Fame Class

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Della9250, Aug 2, 2019.

1. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

I think he belongs. He was elite for a number of years. 130 career TDs, led the league in that category 3 times. First-ballot asshole, for sure.

2. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

The established precedent is that unless you are Gale Sayers, if you have a shortened career, you better have a ring or rings or played in multiple Super Bowls. Tony Boselli is putting that precedent to the test -- I don't believe he belongs -- but he keeps stalling out in the final 15 because I'm sure there are enough voters who look at that length of career and lack of postseason bulletpoints. The fact that Patrick Willis (5 time first-team all-pro in seven and a half seasons) isn't a finalist is another checkmark in that direction, and he played in a Super Bowl.

3_Octave_Fart likes this.
  3. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I kind of like the idea of kicking some honorees out of HOFs for dishonoring the game or whatever. Hell, they took awards away from Bill Cosby.

4. Della9250

The sad thing is if Sharpe had been just average for two more seasons and won that ring in 96 and then been forced to retired, he'd probably be in

5. Della9250

Megatron's Hall path will help shine more of a light on Sharpe. If he gets major traction right away, the outcry will begin

3_Octave_Fart likes this.
  6. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

When O.J. was arrested I called the Hall for the Herald and whoever was honcho at the time said that was out of the question.

7. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

8. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

That Kevin Greene bust is going to keep me from sleeping for a few days.

Discussing players with short careers, where does Gronkowski rank? I think he is a better player than anybody discussed with short careers. Regardless, what do people think and where is he on some short career/great player spectrum?

9. mateen

mateen Well-Known Member

Gronkowski played 9 seasons, and averaged over 12 games played per season - I think that's clearly long enough, given how good he was. Given the trend toward shorter careers by HOF-caliber players who can afford it and know more about the physical risks than players of past eras, I'd think the requisite length of career to be considered will become shorter over time.

10. DanielSimpsonDay

DanielSimpsonDay Well-Known Member

Best I've ever seen. A living cheat code.

11. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

12. HappyCurmudgeon

HappyCurmudgeon Well-Known Member

This is going to be a tough voting day Saturday. No quarterbacks and I only think Polamalu and Reggie Wayne appear to be clear first-ballot guys.

There are five guys that have been finalists for 4 years: Boselli, Faneca, Bruce, James and Lynch (7). James should get in. Faneca should get in. That Bruce & Holt debate seems interesting to me. Holt had an amazing run of 8 straight years of 80+ catches and 1,100+ yards. Bruce played much longer and has better overall numbers. His 1995 season is among the best in league history but he only came close to that sort of season one more time and didn't have the consistency of Holt.

The safety argument is also good. I think Butler should've been in by now and it's a shame that he's only a first-time finalist. He was ahead of time. He played the position much like guys play it today as more of a coverage position. 4-Time All Pro, First-team All Decade, 20 sack/20 interception guy.

If I had to predict I'd say: Polamalu, Wayne, Holt, Faneca, James, Seymour and Hutchinson

Draft saved Draft deleted