1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2020 Pro Football Hall of Fame Class

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Della9250, Aug 2, 2019.

1. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

Lem Barney ... wonderful person and outstanding player.

2. HappyCurmudgeon

HappyCurmudgeon Well-Known Member

My high school and college football coaches used old film of Winston Hill to teach consistent technique off the snap. I have a great appreciation for that guy as a blocker. Glad for Karras and Sabol. Nice to see some safeties get in there almost whoever said Cliff Harris was a speck above average is spot on.

Liut likes this.
  3. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Harris really doesn't belong, but at least he didn't go in ahead of Shell, who was the superior player. I'm glad this let them get past the crap about the Steelers of the '70s having too many Hall of Famers already. I might have gone with L.C. Greenwood over Shell, but the latter is deserving.

Now you've got Cowher and Shell, with Polamalu and Faneca among the regular finalists. Steelers fans really are going to take over Canton, as they have done in the past.

If you follow the link in Jake from State Farm's post, they have audio of Shell's reaction as he got the call.

4. cyclingwriter2

cyclingwriter2 Well-Known Member

Donnie Shell in as well. I am happy.

5. Gutter

Gutter Well-Known Member

6. Jake from State Farm

Jake from State Farm Well-Known Member

Susan Clark is still with us so she will be at the ceremony
    The Karrases had a share of the profits as their payment for appearing in Porky’s
    They did OK

Liut likes this.
  7. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

He was pretty pissed about how it was done.

8. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

I'm too young to have seen Cliff Harris play but I don't understand the hate around him. His resume is on par with most selections.

I thought by far the worse selection was Jimbo Covert and the only worse selection would have been Winston Hill. I really don't get Winston Hill.

I also would have figured that Lavern Dilweg was a lock but you can see what they did -- they hit on all the decades with their picks and did an even 50-50 split on offense and defense

9. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

I feel bad for the guy, but who told him to have a viewing party and have it taped? That is humiliating. After all these years, you can't think you're a shoo-in.

EDIT: Also, how do you put in Carmichael but not Pearson? Pearson was a three-time All-Pro, which Carmichael never made. He also played for a Super Bowl winner and in several other games. The difference in their career catches is about 100 to Carmichael's good, but still -- that's doing Pearson dirty.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2020
  10. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

Yeah, Covert? Two All-Pros from a lineman is pretty low by comparison standards. I still think the two biggest oversights from my lifetime are Klecko and Sterling Sharpe.

cyclingwriter2 likes this.
  11. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Was the viewing party his idea? If so, yeah, that's dangerous. But if not, that it was just another part of the HOF reality show, that sucks.

12. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

After today, the following first-team all-decade players that haven't been picked:

1950s: Alan Ameche, Bobby Walston, Dick Barwegen, Joe Fortunato
    1960s: John David Crow, Del Shofner, Gary Collins, Boyd Dowler, Ralph Neely, Howard Mudd, Larry Morris, Tommy Nobis, Bobby Boyd, Eddie Meador
    1970s: Drew Pearson
    1980s: None
    1990s: Steve Atwater, LeRoy Butler
    2000s: Tom Brady, Edgerrin James, Lorenzo Neal, Alan Faneca, Steve Hutchinson, Dwight Freeney, Richard Seymour, Charles Woodson

Draft saved Draft deleted