1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2020 Presidential poll - Pre-Primary

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Alma, Jan 20, 2020.

?

Who would you pick for president?

1. Joe Biden

11 vote(s)
    15.5%
  2. Michael Bloomberg

1 vote(s)
    1.4%
  3. Pete Buttigieg

13 vote(s)
    18.3%
  4. Amy Klobochar

8 vote(s)
    11.3%
  5. Deval Patrick

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Bernie Sanders

5 vote(s)
    7.0%
  7. Tom Steyer

1 vote(s)
    1.4%
  8. Donald Trump

9 vote(s)
    12.7%
  9. Elizabeth Warren

20 vote(s)
    28.2%
  10. Andrew Yang

3 vote(s)
    4.2%
  1. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Absolutely. And there is a damn good chance Arizona has two Democratic senators after November.

I Should Coco and garrow like this.
  2. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

True. They could take over, but the intent is to elect Person A to serve 4 years and Person B to be the backup. If we wanted Person B, then Person B would have been nominated to run by the party not get in because Person A backdoors him/her in.

3. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

He's more qualified on some things. She's more qualified on some things.

4. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

What's this "backdoor" shit? The VP nominee's name would be right there on the ballot. They wouldn't be fooling anybody.

(The fact that Faux Fascist Noise and the rest of the right wing screech machine would scream 'backdoor' -- of course they would -- doesn't make it true.)

Now say the ticket is Biden/Jimmy Carter, then on Jan. 23, Carter resigns and Hillary Clinton is nominated as the replacement VP ... then the "backdoor" stuff holds water.

Think of it as the legacy of Sarah Palin. If the presidential nominee is a doddering old person with a non-zero chance of not making it through the term, and the VP nominee is somebody you deem incompetent or objectionable, you have to take that into consideration.

Similarly in 2008 I think a lot of the more gung-ho liberal progressive boosters of Obama were somewhat less than delirious with joy over the pick of Biden (too old, too white, too male, too kissy-kissy to GOP), but since Obama was young and healthy and in his 40s, the VP selection wasn't considered that consequential.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2020
  5. Spartan Squad

Backdoor, front door, Pear door, I don't care what you call it. The president has a veep because a) it's literally in the constitution and b) as a just in case. The VP isn't a position to let someone else get elected and have them step aside just so they can be president and serve 10 years. For one, no one who goes through the time, energy and money is going to say "oh I had my fun, I'll resign after two years." And secondly, the shitstorm that would rise up following such a move would spell the political end of the vice president in that position.

Just because the rules let you go for it on 4th down from your own 1 doesn't mean it's going to turn out well for you if you do that. Just because the rules don't prohibit a president from rigging it so someone can serve 10 years instead of 8 doesn't mean it's going to work out well if he does it.

6. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

They wouldn't be "rigging" anything. It's right there in the constitution, and as I posted above, it's been discussed before in previous campaigns so anybody paying even half-ass attention should know about it.

7. Spartan Squad

No one is resigning after two years unless they are gaming aka rigging the system. Again, no one is doing this even though nothing in the constitution stops them from doing it.
    "When you're 4th-down, 100 to go, in the snow, you don't call a running play up the middle. Unless you're the Jets." Dr. House

8. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

9. Tweener

Tweener Well-Known Member

10. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Sanders will do well in Iowa - if only because people inclined to vote for him will be wary of getting a knock on the door from a Bernie supporter AFTER the caucuses. I can see Biden voters maybe staying home because there is a special episode of The Voice.

11. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

12. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

Well, for starters, he left off the question mark.

Draft saved Draft deleted