1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2020 Presidential poll - Pre-Primary

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Alma, Jan 20, 2020.

?

Who would you pick for president?

1. Joe Biden

11 vote(s)
    15.5%
  2. Michael Bloomberg

1 vote(s)
    1.4%
  3. Pete Buttigieg

13 vote(s)
    18.3%
  4. Amy Klobochar

8 vote(s)
    11.3%
  5. Deval Patrick

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Bernie Sanders

5 vote(s)
    7.0%
  7. Tom Steyer

1 vote(s)
    1.4%
  8. Donald Trump

9 vote(s)
    12.7%
  9. Elizabeth Warren

20 vote(s)
    28.2%
  10. Andrew Yang

3 vote(s)
    4.2%
  1. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

All relevant choices present.

2. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Right now, I'd vote for Buttigieg. Here's why:

>>I think fierce intellect helps in the job - it doesn't cure everything - and he has that.

>>I like the analytical temperament.

>>I like that he's had some broad experiences - from war to high-level finance - and I like that he comes from a non-coastal state.

>>I'd really rather not vote for Biden, who is not game for 8 years, and perhaps not even 4.

>>Sanders would now be my second choice, but I fear very little would get done by him. I also fear him empowering people who do not mean well, at all, for our democracy.

>>Was most interested in Warren but just can't do it. She tries too hard to make everything just so in her rhetoric and she's a hothead. (Not a fucking liar, like Paul Ryan, well south of that, but a truth smudger in ways Buttigieg and Sanders do not seem to be.)

3. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

I will happily vote for whoever the Democrats nominate. (Well, I don't know that I'd happily vote for Bernie, but I'd do it.)

Having said that, I think nominating Buttigieg would be a giant mistake. Black voters do not support Buttigieg at all, and that's a problem.

Tweener and Driftwood like this.
  4. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

Yep, the definite way forward for the Democratic Party is to nominate someone with zero percent black support. It's not like the black vote is a large constituency in the party or anything.

5. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Are there enough gays to make up for the black vote?

They may have done the PAT/2-point math ...

Batman likes this.
  6. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

So, Mayor Pete is off the table then.

Biden seems to have significant black support but is creakier than a haunted house front door and was born years before the oldest Boomers entered the world. Bernie is even older. Great!

Tweener likes this.
  7. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

It's been an odd primary. Women are supporting Bernie and Biden as much - if not more than Klobuchar and Warren.
    Non-white voters are supporting Bernie and Biden in greater numbers than they did Harris, Booker, Yang and Castro.
    I guess that's what bugs me about the "old white men" complaints - it's not like old white men make up a significant bloc of the Democratic base.

8. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

I hope Larry David can retire his Sanders impersonation.

Look, I'll vote for the Democratic nominee no matter who it is, but I really don't want to vote for someone who is damn near 80. The sooner Sanders and Biden and Warren get out of politics, the better. Democrats need new blood, younger blood, in the party.

9. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

Empowering them on both sides of the aisle, at that.

10. Tweener

Tweener Well-Known Member

For anyone willing to admit that they voted for Biden in this poll, please explain to me why. Is it merely because you think he could do well against Trump in a general election?

It can’t possibly be his politics or how he’s performed in debates, can it? Either way, I think he would be a disaster.

11. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

Seven for Mayor Pete? #SJsowhite

12. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

My vote on here went for Biden and will in the actual primary simply because I think he has the best chance of beating Trump. My second choice would be Bloomberg for the same reason.
    We all know there were a ton of older white dudes who held their nose and voted for Trump just because the opponent was Hillary Clinton/a woman. They still don't particularly support Trump, but they have a primal need to have an old white dude as POTUS. These people don't care about policy. They don't care about party politics. They just want the status quo for the years they have left.
    Maybe Biden or Bloomberg is an acceptable option where they don't feel a need to vote for Trump.

Draft saved Draft deleted