1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2020 NHL Off-season thread (we could be here a while)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Sea Bass, Oct 17, 2020.

1. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

The East is loaded. One of the Capitals, Penguins, Islanders, Bruins and Flyers is going to miss the playoffs. I'd actually put my money on it being the Penguins that miss.

2. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

The East includes five of the top eight NHL teams in points percentage last season.

The only team in that division I think the Rangers are clearly better than is New Jersey. The good thing about it is that these are true rivalries, which will hopefully push them.

I am kind of hoping that the Rangers play 10 to 20 games, see where they are at, and if it doesn't look like they took a step forward from last year, get a bunch of the prospects they have stockpiled in so they can get experience. They have some really young, really promising-looking players around 20, 21 years of age, and they need to figure out what they have.

3. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Seemed like the Penguins were supposed to be in the Central until a last-minute switch. I'm sticking by my theory that NBC got in the NHL's ear and told them they can't go an entire season without Ovi-Crosby games. Suddenly, the Pens are in the East. I'm cool with that. Would rather scrap with them eight times this year than the Canes, if we're being honest.

4. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

From what I read several weeks back, the Pens were lobbying hard to be in the east.

5. Tighthead

Tighthead Well-Known Member

I watched the entire Pens-Habs series and Pittsburgh just kind of no-showed. Crosby was solid, Geno was absent the first few games.

They had the look of a veteran team that’s been holding it together and it’s caught up to them now.

6. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

7. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

The tempered enthusiasm I had for the Ducks ended when The Athletic writer (a friend and co-worker for more than 35 years) predicted the team's No. 1 line would be Getzlaf, Milano and Heinen. I don't think the reporter was in the basement when he wrote that, but I do see the team in the basement if that's the go-to scoring line.

8. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

They're super shaky on the blue line. Letang has been regressing for a couple of years now. And Cody Ceci is set to get minutes, so that's never good. They're in a transition state. The Caps will be there probably in two years, which is why they're in absolute win-now mode.

9. Tighthead

Tighthead Well-Known Member

Letang has had so many health issues. I’ve always thought he had a bit of an underrated career but he’s certainly slipped. It drops off after him.

Doing a reload/rebuild in Pittsburgh will be interesting. Rutherford isn’t the man I would want calling the shots.

Draft saved Draft deleted