1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2020 NFL Off-season

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by heyabbott, Dec 30, 2019.

1. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

In the early decades of the century MLB teams often owned pieces of NFL teams that played in their stadiums as tenants. Permission to use the team name was sometimes part of the deal.

I believe when the Chicago Cardinals moved to St. Louis in 1959-60 was the first time there was serious friction over the matter. Pretty sure the Football Cardinals had to pay a fairly healthy royalty fee to use the name.

The Kansas City Royals baseball team famously refused permission for the NBA Cincinnati Royals to keep their team name when they moved in 1970.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2020
  2. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

The Washington Lobbyists

3. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

From offensive monikers to offensive people ...

4. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

5. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

To elaborate. ... There are tweets saying it may be related to the firing of Alex Santos and Richard Mann earlier this week as the director and the asst. directors of pro personnel. Santos' firing may not have been football related according to what some people are tweeting. There doesn't seem to be much more than that out there. The way there are people tweeting around it, rather than just saying what is going on, is really curious.

6. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

So, it's still ok for NFL players to espouse anti-semitic tropes without league sanction? Just checking.

7. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

It seems as if they are leaving it to the team and the Eagles don't seem to be inclined to punish Jackson.

8. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

9. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

10. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

As a reporter, I find all of these cryptic tweets to be very weird.

TigerVols likes this.
  11. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

I have a theory: Somebody with the team is leaking rumors of something truly awful so that when the actual is story is less than, say, a culture of sexual assault, fans are relieved. "Oh. Bad. I thought it was going to be even worse." That kind of thing.

12. Tighthead

Tighthead Well-Known Member

Did you read the second instalment? Lots of detail and effort, but it needed a lot of editing imo. But I’m not a journalist.

Draft saved Draft deleted