1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2020 NFL Off-season

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by heyabbott, Dec 30, 2019.

1. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Pats never approach potential free agents until after combine. Why I don't know, but it's SOP.

Mr. Sluggo and Neutral Corner like this.
  2. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Given how the Titans GM was so non-commital about Tanneyhill just a breath after saying the would re-sign Henry adds smoke to the Brady-Vrabel reunion rumors.

3. Michael_ Gee

One of the odd facets of the Brady free agency is that the current QBs of some of his rumored suitors, Carr and Tannehill, had way way better years than Brady in 2019.

4. DanielSimpsonDay

DanielSimpsonDay Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    /Scott Zolak

5. Michael_ Gee

ESPN headline: Sources: Brady open to new team in free agency.
    Uh, yeah? Otherwise what's the point of it all?

6. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I think we've entered the BS poker stage of the off-season. Probably makes sense for other AFC teams to express interest and wine and dine Brady if only for the Pats to jack up their number and leave them with less cap room. I am curious about how the QB carousel shakes out, does a team sign someone with a low-ish offer with promise to start, or grab someone with a huge offer to set the market? How many teams are in the "provervial window" to win now where a veteran QB could make a difference? How many of them would make a difference?

7. Michael_ Gee

That's just it. There aren't many teams who're only a "veteran QB" away. The Chargers HAD a veteran QB and a fat lot of good it did them last year. The Dolphins are like 10 starters away. The Raiders really don't have a quarterback problem, they have others. Maybe the Colts are the only team that fits the description where Brady could add 2-4 wins over last season.

8. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

I think Brady would have added 2-4 wins to the Bears last season.

9. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Tennessee? The assumption being they can't count on Tannehill to do what he did last year?

10. Michael_ Gee

I would've included the Bears, but apparently they've decided they'll sink or sink with Trubisky.

11. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Given that the NFL has been pushing for a new CBA for more than a year - and the current deal doesn't lapse until the end of the season - why should the players be in any rush to accept a new deal?
    I realize the owners want labor piece before TV negotiations next year - but if you are the players, you have the leverage which will only increase as the contract gets closer to the end.
    The new deal isn't good for the players. Less than half of the revenue, a few concessions on weed, a couple extra roster spots. If the owners want a deal now, you think they would be bringing more to the table. Shorter rookie deals, guaranteed contracts, longer post-career healthcare, salary cap exceptions/dumping the franchise/transitional tag, profit-sharing or a bonus pool.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2020
    Neutral Corner likes this.
  12. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

Romo just got PAID

Draft saved Draft deleted