1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2020 NFL Off-season

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by heyabbott, Dec 30, 2019.

1. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Hard to stick it to the Patriots when you can't play worth a damn anymore.

Seriously, the worst thing Brady could do is go to a place where people would stop making excuses for him. The Raiders may be atop that list.

2. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

I suspect anywhere Brady might go, he'd be greeted with hosannas the first few weeks, raised to demigod status, until the first game when he throws two picks and loses two fumbles, at which time reality would reassert.

3. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

Brady should absolutely retire before he dings his legacy, but thankfully he won’t.

4. da man

da man Well-Known Member

I think Tom Brady's legacy will survive intact.

sgreenwell likes this.
  5. Jake from State Farm

Jake from State Farm Well-Known Member

I don’t think anyone remembers Johnny Unitas with the Chargers or Joe Namath with the Rams
    The one I remember is Willie Mays in the playoffs with the 1973 Mets, when he was so bad it made everyone sad

6. HappyCurmudgeon

HappyCurmudgeon Well-Known Member

7. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Brady wasn't that bad this season. He just wasn't that good either. He was an OK quarterback, somewhere just above the middle of the pack, whose team benefitted from that making him the best QB in its division.

8. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Some website or publication (I can't remember which one -- NFL.com, maybe?) ranked Brady No. 11 among QBs this season. Off the top of my head, that sounds about right to me -- maybe a little on the high side, but not much.

Like you said, just above middle of the pack.

9. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

The guy has won the AFC South four times in six seasons. Granted a 2-4 record in the playoffs ain't great and he makes some truly stupid decisions at times, but ya know, so has Andy Reid and apparently the world is now in love with him. Ya can do much worse than Bill O'Brien as a coach. Still, if he doesn't at least make the AFC title game next year, I think they'll hire someone else, if only as a change-up.

10. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I suspect expectations will be unreasonably high if he goes elsewhere. What team other than the Patriots would be a good fit?

11. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

That's just it. That's why my bet is Brady stays right here. The current Pats, lack of "weapons" and all, are still the best team in the AFC East (and Brady the best QB in the division). They can make the playoffs with Brady. Who else can make that claim. I did a little research this morning, and Derek Carr, hardly considered elite, had a much better season than did Brady. No comparison really. The one place I think in real football terms Brady could lift another team to the playoffs is Tampa Bay if they cut Winston loose. No lack of skill personnel there, and reducing INTs from 30 to less than 10 probably gets you two or three wins alone.

12. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Winston threw that team right out of several games.

Draft saved Draft deleted