1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2020 NASCAR Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by DanOregon, Feb 7, 2020.

1. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Phoenix actually is considered a good test of skill as well, isn't it?

2. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

I guess so, but IMO, it's either Darlington or let them finish in Charlotte so that entire teams can be there. In other words, the folks who put in long hours at the shop year-round and never travel on the hauler.

Batman likes this.
  3. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

I'd be OK with Darlington. Phoenix is a meh venue, but it's better than one of the cookie cutter 1.5-mile tracks like Texas.

2muchcoffeeman likes this.
  4. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

If they’re not going to finish the season at Atlanta because of weather, they’re sure not gonna finish at Darlington.

5. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

Actually, November is still pretty nice here most years. If there's a "dry" season for this part of the country, it's usually October-November. And our daytime temps are almost always between 60-75, with cool, crisp evenings. Darlington would be a pretty great place to finish, although holding a second race so soon after the Southern 500 seems unlikely.

Driftwood likes this.
  6. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Sorry, should’ve used blue font. I thought that was the justification for moving it from Atlanta to Homestead.

7. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

With the Southern 500 already being a playoff race, it'd also be weird going back there for the championship. And for a third race, unless they dropped the spring race for the finale.

maumann likes this.
  8. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Thing is, if there are places in the circuit that could justify extra stops, it should be Charlotte because that's where all the shops are located or Darlington because of the track's difficulty and the sport's roots.

maumann likes this.
  9. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

The obvious solution here is that the Southern 500 would be the last race of the season.

maumann likes this.
  10. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

Merry Christmas! Here's your pink slip. -- NASCAR on Fox

11. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

DW is the guest on Junior’s pod this week and next. I know a lot of people just want Darrell to go away, but I’ve always found him fascinating.

12. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Trying to catch up on old reading these days, just got through "Racing to the Finish" by Ryan McGee with Junior on his concussion history and retirement. Didn't realize how messed up he was, and for how long. Quick, decent read.

maumann likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted