1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2020 NASCAR Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by DanOregon, Feb 7, 2020.

1. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Isn't Larson a Chevy guy?

I'd think the 14 would go to Chase Briscoe.

Also, hard to believe that entire generation of drivers, except for Harvick, are gonna be done. Feels like it was yesterday.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2020
    maumann likes this.
  2. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Larson doesn’t have a deal with Chevy anymore, and Tony Stewart would love to have him. From Robin Miller in late June:

I called A.J. several weeks ago and told him to hire Larson, but he seemed to think Tony Stewart was going to do it. I asked Stew a couple weeks ago and he said he’d like to, but nothing to report yet.​

Larson’s gonna go from pariah to most wanted free agent … assuming NASCAR reinstates him.

Just for fun … assuming Larson went for the racer as owner instead of the businessman, who’s Rick Hendrick going to put into the 88? Some of the sponsorship is already settled there. The only other driver available with any sort of name-brand appeal is Erik Jones, and after drivers get bumped out of Gibbs rides they …

… well, Logano won a championship.

OK, then.

Who else? John Hunter Nemechek? I wouldn’t let him drive a taxicab.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2020
    maumann likes this.
  3. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Corey Lajoie? Justin Allgaier should get another shot but heaven forbid, he's older than 25.

4. 2muchcoffeeman

Allgaier is more likely than Corey Lajoie, but I think Hendrick will aim higher than that.

5. 2muchcoffeeman

In a conversation a few minutes ago, I was reminded that Corey LaJoie has intentionally spewed racist filth out of his piehole several times, as opposed to the one time Kyle Larson let one slip.

Scratch him off the list.

maumann likes this.
  6. 2muchcoffeeman

7. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

That "making of" was more interesting than the movie. One of the movie cars actually qualified for a race? Two did? NASCAR MADE them qualify?

8. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Was wondering if that was worth a watch.

9. 2muchcoffeeman

If y’all didn’t like yesterday’s rainy NASCAR/IMSA doubleheader, you won’t like today either.

maumann likes this.
  10. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Have the Cup cars ever run in the rain? I think there was one race at the Glen years ago where they were close to it and Mark Martin might’ve even busted out rain tires during a practice or a test.

maumann likes this.
  11. 2muchcoffeeman

12. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

Not that I can remember in an actual race. They may have put the wets on for a practice at the Glen, but NASCAR was pretty adamant that they'd rather cancel than look foolish.

I was in Montreal for the crazy rainy Busch race there. Was it Carl Edwards trying to clean off his windshield with a squeegee?

Draft saved Draft deleted