1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2020 NASCAR Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by DanOregon, Feb 7, 2020.

1. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

God, I hope not. It’s bad enough being overrun with these abominations on the highway.

maumann likes this.
  2. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

And you've hit on part of the end game that could eventually kill the golden goose.

NASCAR, for all its technological savvy, is still completely dependent on the idea that its main audience wants to see gasoline-fueled sedans going around in circles. That's not what the overwhelming majority of the car-buying public -- or the manufacturers -- want. Even their Truck Series is based on the same platform, just with a truck shell.

The future is eventually going to be the elimination of fossil fuels as a primary source of propulsion. It's only a matter of time and bringing technology to bear.

Even worse, fewer potential customers have drivers licenses or even care about automobiles than at any time since World War II. Unless NASCAR creates an Uber/Lyft Series, why would people who don't own a car care?

While Daytona Beach fiddles, their base is slowing dying off. Does this sound a bit like print media, because the parallels are there.

swingline and OscarMadison like this.
  3. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

Yeah, Blaine was killed at the '96 US Nationals when he hit a mid track turnout. NHRA made tracks reconfigure to take them out. He was pretty much running away with the championship when it happened.

playthrough and maumann like this.
  4. Driftwood

I think NASCAR's traditional appeal was the death-defying knights of the track who were just like the folks in the stands. They came up from the factories and farms, and when they hit the big time, they still rubbed shoulders and talked with the folks buying tickets. Many of the drivers up through the 80s and early 90s worked various jobs Monday-Thursday and raced on the weekends. The age of rookies was mid 30s because it took them that long to get there. The fans identified with them. It wasn't always about the gear head side of it.

OscarMadison, playthrough and maumann like this.
  5. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I loved, loved covering the NHRA. I'm sure I've told this story before but the first event I covered that wasn't a high school game was the Gatornationals in Gainesville, Fla.; my small paper would always send someone because funny car driver Al Hofmann was from our coverage area. He was a big John Force rival, so when I got to the pits on the first day I figured I'd just go to Force's hauler and get a few minutes with him. Imagine going to a Nascar race and thinking you'll just go to Kyle Busch's area and get an unarranged sit-down -- fat effing chance. But Force warmly welcomed a 23-year-old dimwit and gave me 15 minutes. I jumped at every chance to cover the straightliners after that.

6. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

Aubry Huff has no idea how to shut his mouth. Bubba Wallace had none of it.

7. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

My first and only Indy was 1967, when Parnelli Jones' turbine car was ahead by about 7 miles when a ball bearing failed and he lost. The car was super controversial because it was rear engined and worst of all made no noise. But it eventually led to the introduction and subsequent total victory of rear-engined cars. Perhaps as a subsidiary series, NASCAR could get the motor companies to create high-performance electric racers. They're all working feverishly to create the electric car that finally catches the public's fancy. What better way to do so?

maumann likes this.
  8. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

There's a European Formula E Series for rear-engined cars now. Andretti Autosports has a team and is heavily involved. Whether NASCAR can evolve their platform that quickly to hardtops (remember, this is a series that took nearly 35 years to stop using leaded racing fuel) is a fool's errand.

9. Driftwood

I was in Force's hauler, and it was Force who told me about Kenny Irwin being killed.
    I used to LOVE hanging out in the Snake Racing hospitality area when Larry Dixon was sponsored by Miller Lite.
    Don Schumacher's outfit was by far the best "make yourselves at home boys" setup.
    Force, Tony Schumacher, Kenny Bernstein ... down to earth despite their success. They were always happy to talk about the sport.
    I was a familiar enough face that Greg Anderson one time had me watch his kid while he went to warm up the car.
    Gary Scelzi headlocked/hugged/back slapped me more than once.
    Joe Amato was weird. Bob Glidden was a jerk. Connie Kalitta is deaf as a post. Shirley Muldowney thinks highly of herself, to put it nicely.

10. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

And here is LaHaie versus.....Dan Pastorini! (2:30 minute mark)

11. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

12. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

lakefront likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted