1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2020 NASCAR Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by DanOregon, Feb 7, 2020.

1. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

The tweet is gone from Reddick's account. Maybe Caterpillar didn't quite approve? Or Richard Childress? Disappointing.

There's a pretty good book to be written about this Nascar season, and it's not even half over.

maumann likes this.
  2. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

LOL. Deleting a tweet is like re-burying a fossil, and has a longer half-life than enriched uranium.

DanielSimpsonDay likes this.
  3. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

As Raylan Givens said, if you run into an asshole in the morning, you ran into an asshole. If you run into assholes all day, you’re the asshole.

wicked likes this.
  4. lakefront

lakefront Well-Known Member

Yes. I actually bought NASCAR for dummies by Mark Martin.
    My first and only race was Louden. I actually thought I was going to listen to Pedro pitch that day, on my walkman. haha Thrilling when they first started the cars. With todays televisions it really is beautiful to watch on the tube.
    Also I was, earlier, prejudice against people like Petty. Only because of the general preconceived redneck image. I am sure there are some like that, but I was impressed by an interview with him done by Larry King. Really was an eye opening moment for me. (despite the interviewer)

maumann likes this.
  5. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Trump likes deities that don’t get crucified.

6. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Of course. This one got plenty of run and the point was made, but the fact that a young driver couldn't leave it on his account there tells you that there are still some forces in the sport that aren't exactly running in the same direction.

maumann likes this.
  7. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

8. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

I'm fascinated by the recent comments about your opinions of NASCAR and how they changed, because the sport itself plays off this combination of mythology and Southern passion play, when the reality is much more nuanced.

Some of smartest automotive engineers on the planet are working behind the scenes around Charlotte, Detroit and out in California at TRD. The cars may be variations on a theme, using a 1962 Ford Galaxie chassis template and V8 engines that haven't really changed in design since the 1930s, but there's amazing technology inside those taxi cabs. The amount of money spent on developing exotic metal alloys, shock and suspension upgrades, wind tunnel testing and maximizing the power band of those engines is in the tens of millions a year, all focused on trying to get a couple of hundredths of a second over the competition in the narrow box of NASCAR rules.

Chevy, Ford and Toyota may not sell cars like they used to, but the technology they're producing as a by-product of the sport is probably close to their return on investment now.

And the NASCAR/wrestling comparison basically goes all the way back to the early days of the sport. NASCAR has always been about the storyline, the white hat/black hat, face vs. heel. That's exactly what the Frances and Smiths have sold fans on. Southerners go to church on Sunday morning and the track on Sunday afternoon. The stories are presented in the same fashion. You choose to believe it's real, or at least pretend that the stories aren't already plotted out.

Bill France was never about creating a level playing field. He wanted heroes and villians, and he manipulated the sport as he saw fit, pulling strings and banning certain people and entities that didn't adhere to his vision. He hated it when a driver or manufacturer "f----ed up the show." Just look at how many times the sanctioning body has deemed certain designs and cars illegal because they were "too good." Because NASCAR first and foremost is a show. It's a circus with high-wire acts going 180 mph. Nobody upstages the ringmaster, not even the President of the United States.

OscarMadison, wicked and Driftwood like this.
  9. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

C, F and T are barely even making cars anymore; do you think there might ever be a day where the manufacturers tell NASCAR they must rename the series NASTAR cause we're only interested in racing (and promoting) SUV-bodied vehicles?

maumann likes this.
  10. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

Since its earliest days, NASCAR has been filled with some of the most brilliant/mechanical minds in the country. Smokey Yunick, Junior Johnson, Leonard Wood, Maurice Petty, Robert Yates, Waddell Wilson, Ernie Elliott ... they may not have all been formally educated, but what they could do to race cars is unreal.

If you want to think in that mindset, look at the NHRA. Two of the most brilliant people I have ever tried to talk to are Alan Johnson and Dick LaHaie. I told both of them "you're talking over my head."

maumann and playthrough like this.
  11. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Alan Johnson - man, yeah, you're right. It was his brother who died in the wreck, right?
    I'm not the biggest fan of the actual racing. But racers - the drivers and the folks behind the scenes - are fascinating.

maumann likes this.
  12. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

I grew up with NASCAR all around, and I don't dispute the ingenuity and genius of the teams. I just get far more enjoyment from racing on tracks with both left and right turns, hills, dips and the like.

maumann likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted