1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2020 NASCAR Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by DanOregon, Feb 7, 2020.

1. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

They are considering it, but the Fairgrounds track downtown needs more updating than the intermediate track out in Lebanon. Meanwhile, the MLS people are trying to get the old short track paved so they can put up a parking lot.

OscarMadison likes this.
  2. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Brickyard 400 weekend at Indy over July 4 (which will also include an IndyCar road race) to run without fans. Which isn't a significant change from recent years (rim shot).

The rescheduled Indy 500 is less than two months later.

3. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Gives Penske more time to upgrade the fan experience (that is if there is any plan to have fans in August).

4. playthrough

I've heard that Penske is prepared to move the 500 back as far as October if that's what it takes to have fans. IMS can afford to run an empty Brickyard thanks to the Nascar TV contract, but no such luck with the 500.

As for upgrading the fan experience, I've gotten a kick out of that storyline and how local media have ate it up. Penske is certainly doing it, from renovating the infamous infield restrooms to paving a lot of notorious mudpit parking lots inside and outside the oval, but to me that also shines a light on just how little the Hulman-George family had done as far as upkeep.

Neutral Corner likes this.
  5. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

The next phase of the revamped schedule is out, and they're apparently saying damn the torpedoes now as far as venturing away from Charlotte.
    The Pocono doubleheader weekend stays, as do the next two weekends at Indy and Kentucky. Then they'll come back to Charlotte for the All-Star race (God only knows why), followed by Texas, Kansas and New Hampshire. Some of the series will have doubleheaders at those tracks, but the scheduled doubleheader at Pocono is the only one in the Cup Series.
    The adjustments take us up to Aug. 2.
    The release doesn't specify whether fans will be allowed back, just that it's in accordance with various local, state and federal guidelines.

NASCAR unveils schedule updates through Aug. 2 | NASCAR

6. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Texas is allowing up to 50 percent capacity.

Texas to allow sports with 50 percent capacity of fans

7. 2muchcoffeeman

SMI is hanging on to the All-Star Race for the usual reason — dolla dolla bills, y’all.

8. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Because Bruton ...

9. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

Is Bruton even functioning anymore? He's 90+, and the last time I had an interaction with him in 2011 or 12, he seemed to be declining then. Marcus was already calling many shots.

10. 2muchcoffeeman

Because it should be talked about, here’s the conversation Bubba Wallace and Ty Dillon had on Instagram live Monday night. It follows Ty’s BLM Instagram post of last weekend, which once upon a time would’ve given Pop Pop an aneurysm.

If I can find Ty and Austin’s Instagram posts, I will append them.

Times might be a-changin’ in stock car land.

11. 2muchcoffeeman

12. playthrough

February and Daytona were a very, very long time ago, but this isn't the same Nascar that let Trump have the run of the place then.

wicked, 2muchcoffeeman and garrow like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted