1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2020 NASCAR Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by DanOregon, Feb 7, 2020.

1. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

I figure Jenna Fryer (AP), Bob Pockrass (Fox Sports, TV partnership) and Nate Ryan and/or Dustin Long (NBC Sports, TV partnership) are obvious choices. Not sure who ESPN has with credentials for NASCAR these days. Not even sure who the Charlotte Observer would send because Jim Utter is with Motorsport.com now (and he might be another obvious one for the pool).

Also, Pockrass will beat everybody else into the media center by 30 minutes.

2. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

I say they race at Rockingham and Wilkesboro, and the only people who get to cover it are Monte Dutton, Larry Woody, and the ghosts of David Poole and Tom Higgins... from the press box, not the infield media center.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2020
    playthrough likes this.
  3. 2muchcoffeeman

And also Mike Mulhern … if anybody can find him.

4. Driftwood

Or better yet, put Woody and Mulhern curb stopping Tony Stewart on Pay Per View!

5. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

He’s the only guy who could make 8 inches (of quotations) seem like too much.

2muchcoffeeman likes this.
  6. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Charlotte Observer would send Alex Andrejev and certainly its columnist (Scott Fowler).

7. Driftwood

I remember some of my greatest frustrations came from sitting in the press box on deadline and waiting for PR to distribute quote sheets.
    NHRA always did such a better job at that.

Dang, that was a different lifetime ago.

8. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Monte and Poole were my favorites. Remember meeting them both like it was yesterday.

9. 2muchcoffeeman

10. 2muchcoffeeman

Good morning. It’s race week.

Chicagoland Speedway might be in trouble.

In case you missed it, iRacing’s North Wilkesboro debuted Saturday in Fox’s NASCAR Pro Invitational series event. It took some work to even get the old place ready to be mapped.

If y’all were thinking now’s a great opportunity to bring back North Wilkesboro, there’s certainly more chatter about it than ever but there are also two problems: Gonna take at least a year of work to get it anywhere close to a modern NASCAR facility, and North Wilkesboro is in the middle of frackin’ nowhere.

Jeff Gordon ran Saturday (poorly). Even Ray Evernham couldn’t save him.

It wasn’t supposed to be released to the general public until June 2, but it was popular.

Oh, and there will eventually be cars to go with the track. (Yes, users will be able to provide their own paint jobs.)

11. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

They still aren't talking about getting rid of the Chase? I thought maybe smarter people would make a smarter decision.

12. 2muchcoffeeman

For better or worse, that was never on the table.

Draft saved Draft deleted