1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2020 MLB Running Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Elliotte Friedman, Jul 24, 2020.

1. Jerry-atric

Jerry-atric Well-Known Member

Now I think you are just playing with me. ;)

2. Splendid Splinter

Splendid Splinter Well-Known Member

MLB Is Considering Adding the Negro Leagues to Its Official History

This is great. I have met Bob Kendrick, President of the Negro Leagues Baseball Museum, and he is such a nice person. He has a done a great job promoting the Negro Leagues. The NL as had some great stars like Satchel Paige, Josh Gibson, Cool Papa Bell, Buck Leonard, Oscar Charleston, etc.

If you ever have a chance to visit the museum, I suggest you to do so.

Neutral Corner and maumann like this.
  3. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

The Negro Leagues would be more worthy of a major league designation than the Federal League.

4. Splendid Splinter

100%. That said, I always found The Federal League a really fascinating read.

maumann likes this.
  5. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

My favorite story is about Rupert Mills, who threatened to sue the Federal League because he signed a two-year deal in 1915 and wanted his money, even though the league folded. So the league president told him that to get his money, he had to show up as the Newark ballpark every day at a certain time and work out for the entire day. Mills took him up on that, in quite funny fashion.

Rupert Mills: The One-Man Team of the 1916 Federalist League

maumann and Splendid Splinter like this.
  6. Jerry-atric

The Negro Leagues did not always maintain organized records, which is a problem here.

7. Splendid Splinter

I love how the best pitcher at the time, Walter Johnson signed with the Federal League, however, never actually played a game there since the owner of the Senators was ready to take Johnson to court.

MLB History: Walter Johnson Signs with Federal League

maumann likes this.
  8. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Nationals have always included 6 Homestead Grays players in their Ring of Honor. And there’s a Statue of Josh Gibson Outside the stadium with Walter Johnson’s and Frank Howard’s. Picked up a Gray’s hat and t-shirt during my quarantine shopping spree

maumann and Neutral Corner like this.
  9. Splendid Splinter

I got myself this one during the quarantine

maumann likes this.
  10. Jerry-atric

That’s terrific! America needs more “color blind” people like you.

JC and heyabbott like this.
  11. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

I seem to recall pictures of Baltimore Orioles players playing catch at Camden Yards while it was under construction. Can someone whose Google-fu is better than mine hook me up with some?

12. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Plenty of mistakes have been found in MLB historical stats. Why, a young telegraph operator named Lou Proctor inserted himself into a box score once. This earned him a line in the Baseball Encyclopedia for years until it was found out. My goodness!

HanSenSE likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted