1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2020 MLB Running Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Elliotte Friedman, Jul 24, 2020.

1. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

Lord, Hofman, Chase and Engle all had successful Major League careers before jumping to the Buff Feds (or in Chase's case, probably the only place he hadn't thrown a game, yet).

And gotta love slick fielding Jimmy Smith making his 53rd error of the season.

2. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Ozzie Smith probably would have made 30 in 1915, considering the fields condition and tiny gloves.

maumann likes this.
  3. AliceBrenda

AliceBrenda Member

4. AliceBrenda

AliceBrenda Member

5. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

I'm not sure mentioning Kurt Bevacqua and McDonald's in the same sentence is a great play. 1984.

6. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Baltimore’s catcher in the first game was named Yip Owens. I wonder if he had the yips throwing the ball to the pitcher or something?

7. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

HanSenSE likes this.
  8. JC

JC Well-Known Member

And another small market team where players would never want to go.

9. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

10. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Maybe I am imagining this but were the White Sox not looking at Buffalo after Pilot Field (will always be that to me) was built?

11. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Don't quite recall, but maybe they floated it when they also were looking to move to St. Petersburg as a way to get the new Comiskey built?

I do know that for the first year or two after Pilot Field was built, the Bisons actually outdrew at least one major league club, back during the times when MLB clubs drawing 1 million fans was still seen as something to celebrate about.

12. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

That's the timeframe I recall, when they were making noise about moving to St. Pete's. I think the Bisons had been part of the White Sox chain at some point which, as I recall, as part of the discussion.

Draft saved Draft deleted