1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2020 MLB Running Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Elliotte Friedman, Jul 24, 2020.

1. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

We have a season! (Who knows for how long.)

Thought it would be good to start something fresh.

maumann and FileNotFound like this.
  2. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

OK, here's the weirdness from Boston. The Red Sox have set up an outdoor cafe/saloon on the top deck of the parking lot on Lansdowne St., as well as tables on the sidewalk on the Green Monster side of the street. Reservations are required to pay ballpark prices for food and drink to sit and look at the OUTSIDE of Fenway Park. And people are happily doing it!!

3. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

I would be outraged at the Fox fake fans if it wasn't so laughably obvious on EVERY OTHER CAMERA ANGLE that nobody's actually there. That has to be a decision made by a f-ing suit. (Channeling my inner Fredrick.)

4. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Nobody ever said that Red Sox fans are smart.

5. 2muchcoffeeman

Stupid rules should come with stupid names.

That said, I will point out that the Angels failed magnificently at implementing the rule last night.

6. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

Debate on whether it was a lazy play by runner Shohei Ohtani or a great play by 1B Matt Olson. The batter, Jared Walsh, grounded to first and Olson easily threw out Ohtani going to third. Ohtani had a very poor secondary lead and got a lousy jump when the ball was hit. There was a rundown and Walsh didn't try to go to second.
    I watched Dodgers-Giants on Thursday and it looked like the Giants never practiced fundamentals.

7. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

That was all on Ohtani.

8. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

He just looks like he hasn't played a lot of baseball in his life. He doesn't do things naturally.

9. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Needs minor league seasoning /Jeff Passan

TigerVols and ChrisLong like this.
  10. 2muchcoffeeman

11. Fred siegle

Fred siegle Well-Known Member

Something that I’m not sure has been considered with the focus on keeping teams from the same regions playing pretty much within their region: a long-lasting storm period, say several days covering a large region, could throw a gigantic wrench in the schedule. Speaking for the east coast, this could easily occur. Especially if a storm tracks through one area and on to another area where teams from the first area play next. (Say Washington/Baltimore to New York, or either on to Boston.) two rainouts in Baltimore followed by two rainouts in Boston could create a huge problem with this tight schedule.

12. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

In the Diamondbacks-Padres game, D-backs pitcher Robbie Ray was struggling to put away Manny Machado during a long at-bat. In between pitches, Ray pulled a laminated card out of his pocket to apparently go over his notes on Machado. I don't think he was just checking signs.
    Is that legal? I've never seen that before.

Draft saved Draft deleted