1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2020 MLB postseason thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by HanSenSE, Sep 27, 2020.

1. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

I'm shocked, shocked I say, that the "this kind of crushing loss scars teams for years..." takes proved worthless 24 hours later.

sgreenwell likes this.
  2. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Yeah, it's baseball. Teams suffer "crushing losses" like that 5 or 6 times during the season, then move on. Probably about 10 years ago Boston destroyed the Indians like 24-2 or something like that. "Crushing loss." Indians won the next day.

sgreenwell likes this.
  3. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

How about 1 and 3 zero outs, just put the ball in play?

Spartan Squad likes this.
  4. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

My favorite example of this is Brad Lidge - in 2005, he gave up a three-run homer in Game 5 to Albert Pujols. The Astros won the next clinching game anyway.

5. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

Every time they say his name, I think of "Battlestar Galactica."

Batman likes this.
  6. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

And Lidge wasn't right for two years after that. He tried that slider a second time, and the ball Pujols hit might still be rising.

7. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

Lidge's entire career is a rollercoaster of highs and lows... like most "closers."

8. Tighthead

Tighthead Well-Known Member

Meanwhile us Expos fans are still stuck on Blue Monday, except for when we talk about 1994 like the girl that got away.

To borrow from JJW, after forty years we still grieve.

Huggy and maumann like this.
  9. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

lol Brad Lidge.

10. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Testify, my man

Tighthead and maumann like this.
  11. Songbird

12. Songbird

J.K. Simmons plays Groat the movie?

Andrew Linkerto The Baseball Reliquary

The St. Louis Cardinals do a little housekeeping 55 years ago today as they send catcher Bob Uecker -- yes, that Bob Uecker -- to the Philadelphia Phillies in a six-player trade that ships outfielder Alex Johnson, pitcher Art Mahaffey and catcher Pat Corrales to the Cardinals.

Philadelphia does OK on the deal, though, as the Phillies also acquire first baseman Bill White and shortstop Dick Groat from St. Louis.

Uecker spends a season-plus playing for Philadelphia, where he hits seven of the 14 homers he accumulates during his six seasons in the majors.

He also hits just .202 in 96 games for the Phillies, who flip him to the Atlanta Braves midway through the 1967 season for utility player Gene Oliver.

Thanks for looking ... Andy Linker @ www.harrisburgbaseball.com

[​IMG]

Draft saved Draft deleted