1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2020 MLB postseason thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by HanSenSE, Sep 27, 2020.

1. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

2. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

3. Spartan Squad

I mean if all you took from that game were the strike outs ...

4. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

I haven’t seen anyone say this yet: Muncy’s relay did Smith no favors. A bit too much to Smith’s right, causing him to anticipate a catch and huge sweep around, plus taking Smith’s eyes way to the right so that he couldn’t see the bumbling and stumbling on the 3rd baseline, not even in his peripheral vision.

Looked to me four screwed the Pooch - Taylor, Muncy, Smith and Jansen.

poindexter and misterbc like this.
  5. Spartan Squad

Looks like I was right (I'm shocked). MLB updated the box score to give an error to Smith for allowing Arozarena to score and an error to Tayler to allow Phillips to get to second.

Dodgers vs. Rays | 10/24/20

maumann likes this.
  6. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

7. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

Enjoyed the bits and pieces of the game I saw before the ninth, and glad I stopped what I was doing ("working") to watch the bottom of the ninth.

I was sure Arozarena ran through a stop sign on the play, but I guess he was waived home by the 3B coach. Why not, I guess ... worst that can happen is it goes to the 10th.

8. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

All of the official scorers have been suspect this season. Phillips didn't go to second until the throw went home. The Dodgers didn't care what he did. Taylor screwed up the play and got the scenario in motion, but as it shook down, he did not warrant an error. Good throws and catches all the way around, and Arozarena is out, either at home or in a rundown. In my opinion, only Smith gets an error. He had to just lean a little bit to his right and catch the ball. Muncy's throw wasn't all that bad.

I Should Coco likes this.
  9. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Is it back to regular rules for extra innings in the playoffs?

10. Spartan Squad

It isn't that the Dodgers cared that Phillips got to second, but he got to second nonetheless and you need to officially explain how he got there. So it's either single advance on a throw or single advance on an error. Since Taylor booted the ball so badly, give him the error. It doesn't matter because the second error negated what Phillips did, but had Arozarena managed to get back to third, does Phillips still not get charged with an error?

Muncy's throw wasn't bad but it wasn't the best either. Granted he didn't know Arozarena fell down and he had all the time in the world to set himself for a good throw home, but his throw took Smith out of position to lay down a quick tag had Arozarena not fallen down. Still the error is Smith's for not catching a catchable ball and allowing Arozarena to score.

maumann likes this.
  11. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

I believe so.

12. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

Phillips, single, to second on the throw.

Draft saved Draft deleted