1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2020 MLB postseason thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by HanSenSE, Sep 27, 2020.

1. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

Indians announcer Tom Hamilton was going through all the players Cashman got for basically nothing during tonight’s game.

It’s really annoying when both the Dodgers and Yankees are run by smart people.

2. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

The Yanks added the top three free agents on the market that season in Tex, CC and Burnett, so accusing the Yankees of "buying" that title is not unfounded. However, unlike say the Marlins teams I mentioned upthread, those players were part of of a long-term plan that unfortunately only resulted in only one championship. Sabathia and Teixeira both thereafter spent the majority of their careers with the Yankees.

Burnett turned out to be a shitty hire and he lasted two more overpaid seasons in the Bronx before they traded him to Pittsburgh for two nobodies. The Pirates actually got two pretty good seasons out of him before that contract ran out.

The Marlins, on the other hand, brought in several high-priced free agents in '97 and '03, won the title with them and then dumped their salaries following each season.

The idea that the 2009 Yankees championship was "the most blatant example of buying a title in my lifetime" is absurd on its face. But people like to hate on the Yankees, so I get it.

3. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

The Yankees do not win that title in 2009 without Burnett. His three Game 2 starts in that postseason were worth it

4. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

8 games today.
    "Hell to the yeah" as the kids say.
    I feel a "head cold" coming on and may need to stay home today as a precaution.

maumann likes this.
  5. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

Yankees buying a championship in a free market? LOL Even the "poorest" MLB owner could buy whomever they wanted, if they so chose

The 2009 title is all but forgotten by NY fans, which happens when your team usually wins them in bunches.

Also, the Yankees failed to win a title two of the past four decades, which for them is a huge failure.

6. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

7. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Beer 1 has been cracked.
    "Head cold" getting worse.
    It's gonna be a great day.

bigpern23 and maumann like this.
  8. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

Which streak ends today, the Twins 17 straight postseason losses or Dusty' Baker's streak of 10 consecutive losses in closeout games?

9. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Clevinger and Lament not on the roster for the first round, per AP.

10. HanSenSE

Looks like they're going back to regular rules for extra innings in the playoffs. Bases empty as Reds-Braves open the 10th.

11. HanSenSE

Just curious: Which genius scheduled both Chicago teams to play at the same time?

12. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

1. The White Sox are in Oakland.
    2. You find me a person who likes both equally. I would like to meet this unicorn.

I Should Coco likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted