1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2020 MLB postseason thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by HanSenSE, Sep 27, 2020.

1. Slacker

Slacker Well-Known Member

The World Series has framed my life.
    After 44 straight, I’m sitting this one out.

By Thomas Boswell

Since 1975, I’ve covered every World Series game for The Washington Post. My streak will end Tuesday at 252 games. Including travel days, I’ve spent more than a year covering the World Series.

Last month, I decided not to go to this World Series, because I don’t think it’s smart for a 72-year-old man in a pandemic. But I still hated making that call.

No matter the reason, I’ll miss the marvelous misery of covering the World Series this year.

And, believe me, it’s both marvelous and miserable. Every MLB writer comes home from the World Series feeling like Lawrence of Arabia staggering out of the desert.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/spor...EOreg7kcDM88Pb3eS_dv_cx1L6VWLG3hgla1UMPTiWFw4

Last edited: Oct 20, 2020
  2. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

I think it’s the fear of the strikeout. Whiff rates have increased so much in the past decade.

maumann likes this.
  3. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

More hated in Canada......
    Rick Monday or Jim Sundberg?

Songbird likes this.
  4. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

Rick Monday. The Jays eventually won...and the Expos are gone. That was Canada’s first elite team, there was a romance to it

Huggy and JC like this.
  5. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Ed Sprague gets a mulligan?

6. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

There's like two unofficial rules for backup catchers, which I think Baseball Prospectus brought up in one of their annuals: 1) The worse a catcher hits, the better it is assumed that he is defensively or "handling a staff," because otherwise why would he have the roster spot? 2) Because they only get around 100 to 200 ABs a year, all of them will hit close to .300 in a year, because of how sample sizes work.

Mathis has played 16 god damn years and got into 945 games. He currently has an OPS+ of 48. Even systems that factor in his pitch framing give him a WAR of 3.8. He made $3M in 2019 and 2020 each.

maumann likes this.
  7. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

Songbird likes this.
  8. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

9. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

Time for predictions.

Dodgers in five*

*Admitted Dodgers homer

10. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

The Rays do everything right. It would be fun to continue what the Lightning started. But I don't see how they stop the Dodgers from prevailing.

Los Angeles brings home the trophy for the first time since 1988. Six games.

11. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

So did he, hence the nickname Pebbly Jack.

[​IMG]

12. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

I’m #RaysUp 24x7 and potentially biased, but: If the Rays keep doing what they’re doing, they win. Won’t be a cakewalk, but they’ll win. Rays in 7.

Huggy likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted