1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2020 MLB postseason thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by HanSenSE, Sep 27, 2020.

1. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

Amazingly, Fangraphs showed the Braves still having a 2.1 percent win expectancy after an 11-run first inning by the Dodgers. I realize that's with 27 outs to go, but erasing an 11-run lead can't possibly be that common, can it? After the granny, I was certain it'd have been something like 99.7.

Hey, I only minored in computer science. What the hell would I know?

EDIT: Very cool. Found an interactive win expectancy finder tool here.

Win Expectancy Finder

Once the road team scores nine or more in the first, they're 100 percent certain to win. Twelve actually breaks the tool! And only one time between 1957 and 2019 did any game start 15-0 in favor of the visitors in the third inning before today.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2020
  2. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

God I hope that the Dodger bats just had a one-off. It's just sickening how quickly LA can explode like that. If there's a plus side, The Dodgers have scored 15 of their 23 runs in just two innings. Sadly, I think yesterday's ninth inning was a confidence builder and it carried over. Does Kershaw go tomorrow to try to even this series up? Even if his back isn't 100 percent?

3. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

That is a great tool.
    In the first inning, the Braves' manager had to be wondering exclusively about if and when he would use a position player on the mound.

maumann likes this.
  4. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

The Dodgers lost two “home” games then got an advantage as being the visitor and being able to hit first.

5. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

A few weeks before the end of the season after he was DFA'ed by the Giants. Needed some depth at 3B.

6. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

You’d never live it down, but a strategic forfeit must’ve been an attractive option.

Now I’m wondering how much MLB would fine a team for doing that. $10 million?

7. tapintoamerica

The Orioles did it on Sept. 15, 1977. Only 1.5 games back of first, they trailed 4-0 in the bottom of the fifth in Toronto when Earl Weaver curiously forfeited, citing hazardous playing conditions. The bullpens at Exhibition Stadium were in foul territory; tarp was held to ground by bricks. Earl said this was a hazard. He was right. But was this new? I’ll never get it. Don’t think MLB fined them because they gained no competitive advantage. To the contrary, it was harmful.

Hermes likes this.
  8. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

I’d never heard this. Thanks!

9. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

10. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Somebody check the Astros’ trash cans.

11. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

so are they playing the LCS's straight through? I understand the bubble and travel days, but I also know that pitching rotations kind of depend on that travel day.

12. tapintoamerica

Braves are doing to the Dodgers what the Dodgers did to the Braves in the first inning last night. I think LA just got its second out of the sixth inning on roughly the 50th pitch of the frame.

Draft saved Draft deleted