1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2020 Baseball Hall of Fame Class

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Della9250, Jul 9, 2019.

1. cyclingwriter2

cyclingwriter2 Well-Known Member

You hit on something with his peak. I often use the Keltner List as a way to judge if a player has Hall credentials. It’s subjective AF, but i feel Garvey does very well on it as do some of the other guys on the list this year: Murphy, Parker, Mattingly, Munson. They don’t have the career stats, but their peaks were impressive and more memorable than the likes of Harold Baines.

CD Boogie likes this.
  2. cyclingwriter2

Ahh, the 1970s.

He did have some long hair and in about half of his photos he is squinting in a way that makes it looks like he had just finished a bowl.

3. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

If I look at Dodgers of that era, I'd consider Garvey the Hall of Famer and Don Sutton a compiler.

4. Jake from State Farm

Jake from State Farm Well-Known Member

When all the stuff came out about Garvey’s clean cut image being a fraud he was with the Padres
    There were bumper stickers that read: “Steve Garvey is not my Padre”

5. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

My summary. Any of these guys would be perfectly fine additions to the Hall. Putting them all in the same bunch of candidates is much too game show for me. Also Dick Allen has better cred than any of them except Mattingly.

6. Harold Baines lowered the bar.
    They should all get in.

HanSenSE likes this.
  7. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

I'm certainly not saying he shouldn't be considered or even make this ballot -- although I will point out that he is one of the guys who always makes the ballot and never gets any significant support and maybe he needs to be dropped a la Tiant so others, say Bobby Grich, could have their chance. He is definitely one of the X-best candidates not to be in. But on this particular ballot, he isn't even in the top half of best candidates.

8. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

Fuck that. Don’t compound the problem.

9. Baines is a joke.
    Not even close to worthy.
    That’s that now the standard . Anyone above gets in.
    It’s not compounding the problem , it’s judging others on the same scale.

heyabbott likes this.
  10. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Fuck the clowns that put Baines in. And it’s sad that Baines is going to get shat on for the next 15 years because he was a good player and teammate. But the problem was caused by arrogant dickless whiners. And now it’s not fair that players who were better than Baines in their respective primes get shut out of the HOF because of an aberration. But this aberration was caused by the hubris and thoughtlessness of a group of schmucks. Time to put Clemens and Bonds and McGwire and Sosa and Palmeiro in. Tony LaRussa and his minions have made the Baseball Hall of Fame the equivalent of Basketball and Football’s. Baseball used to be the best of the best. You had to be better than just an 2 time All Star who the led the league is a category once or twice. How many MVPs did Dale Murphy win and he couldn’t get in? Baines lowered a bar to the breaking point. Open the flood gates and demean the whole damn place. And put a note on LaRussa’s plaque RIP Cooperstown.

11. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

Whitey Herzog wrote in his book with Kevin Horrigan that Simmons' defensive liabilities were one of the reasons Herzog brought in Darrell Porter.

Herzog wrote he considered moving Simmons to left field and first base, then thought better of it. A move to first would have shifted Hernandez to left.

Steinbrenner was, apparently, interested in Simmons.

In the end, you know where he went.

12. cyclingwriter2

Simmons caught 1771 games and spent 12 seasons as full-time catcher. If he was terrible, wouldn’t he have been moved to another position to keep his bat in the lineup?

Draft saved Draft deleted